Preformed versus liner pond

Discussion in 'Water Gardening' started by luciusmaximus, Mar 2, 2018.

1. ARMANDII

ARMANDII Low Flying Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +100,834
    Thanks, lucius and Sandy, but all I did was dig the pond out, put the liner in. fill it with water, put some plants in, and leave it to Mother Nature. She's the one I thank when sitting by the pond with that Mug of Tea or glass of Red Stuff. It's amazing just how quickly Mother Nature gets to work softening and naturalising banks and the surrounding area. Although I do have the waterfall it is the only artificial aid as all the over planting in the integrated Bog Garden, Banks, and Marginals keeps the water clear and in balance avoiding algae and so filters and the like are not needed. And I haven't had any complaints from the residents or visitors to the pond about the benefits it offers:dunno::heehee:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It's amazing what a spade, a butyl liner, water, some plants, time, a little research, and faith in Mother Nature will do and how it can give you that sense of wonder when sitting on the bench unseen by anyone.:dunno::coffee::snorky:

• Like Like x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    • Sandy Ground

Sandy Ground Total Gardener

Making things of note.
      Ratings:
      +5,368
      More than that, you have done what few others can. That is to say, get a natural balance between man and nature in the design.

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • Friendly Friendly x 1
      • Irmemac

Irmemac Total Gardener

Ratings:
        +1,686
        I totally agree with the other comments. Yes, Mother Nature plays a part, but the gentle helping hand you have provided should not be unacknowledged. The photos I have seen of your garden paint such a beautiful picture of it that your profound love and understanding of nature is the most obvious thing to see. Always a privilege to share vicariously. The green in your latest photos is breathtaking, particularly just now when (here) there is still plenty of snow and little colour!

• Friendly Friendly x 2
        • Like Like x 1
        • Agree Agree x 1
        • Freddy

Freddy Miserable git, well known for it

Retired - yay!
          Ratings:
          +12,508
          Fabulous pond there @ARMANDII :thumbsup: It’s very difficult to get a sense of size, but looks so...tranquil. Must be nice to sit there and relax. I don’t think I’d be stopping at one glass though :smile: Thanks for sharing the pics
          :ccheers:

• Agree Agree x 1
          • Friendly Friendly x 1
          • ARMANDII

Ratings:
            +100,834
            Thanks Freddy, the pond is actually around 22' x 12' but actually, because of the mass of foliage overhanging the banks and the that of the Marginals, it looks about half the size:heehee: I did a trawl through my somewhat unorganised Picture Library and found that it looked like I was concentrating more on the plants, insects, etc than full length shots. I tried to take a long view this morning while by the Bench and found I had to keep stepping back until I almost vanished in the side fence of Clematis and Ivy and still couldn't get it all in the frame.:doh::wallbanging::heehee:

• Like Like x 2
              Last edited by a moderator: Mar 6, 2018
            • Freddy

Retired - yay!
              Ratings:
              +12,508
              As you may recall, I used to keep Koi. For this the pond (water) environment needed to be controlled, well, I say pond, more of a tank really. I don’t imagine one could keep Koi in a pond such as yours, but I know what I prefer the ‘look’ of :thumbsup: I’m tempted :whistle:

• Friendly Friendly x 1
              • Freddy

Retired - yay!
                Ratings:
                +12,508
                Oh, and to the OP, if it were me, I’d go for a liner, much more versatile when it comes to size and shape.

• Agree Agree x 1
                • ARMANDII

Ratings:
                  +100,834
                  I've actually got about 5 small basic carp in the pond, Freddy, who barely have any effect on the balance of the pond water. The Bog Garden and marginals take out and use the nutrients that is produced from the fishes excrement and the mats of floating weed protects the Frog Spawn from them.
                  A friend of mine had a pond the same size of mine with not as much planting in the marginals. His wife persuaded him that some Koi would look good in it so he bought 3 good sized ones and within less than six months they'd ate all the marginal plants and anything else edible in the pond, that knocked the nutrient balance in the water out of line and it turned a murky green:hate-shocked::dunno::heehee: Luckily, his wife loved the pond as it originally was and so he sold the fish to a friend of his who was a Koi fan:coffee:

• Like Like x 1
                  • Friendly Friendly x 1