1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Problems growing roses.

Discussion in 'Roses' started by Jocko, Jun 3, 2022.

1. Jocko

Jocko Guided by my better half.

Retired engineer. Now Vice CEO of the garden.
    Danderhall on southern edge of Edinburgh. Zone 8a.
    Ratings:
    +6,780
    Many years ago I planted about two dozen rose bushes over three years. HTs, Floribunda and a couple of climbing roses. Off they went, no problem at all and gave me lovely blooms.
    In our new garden, we have planted sixteen rose bushes. Three appear to have done nothing. Two look like they are wanting to start but nothing much is happening. One was trampled by the builders so it was goodbye to that. The one that threw out a couple of shoots last year I moved earlier this year but it looks like it's a goner.
    Another rose produced a one-sided shoot last year and despite pruning hard back has done the same again this year. It flowers on that one shoot.
    We also had a "Lady Marmalade" that produced nice flowers last year but only grew about a foot in height.
    I have no idea what I am doing wrong. We have not replaced roses with roses (one is planted in what was grass last year) and we have dug in manure when we did the planting. Normally you stick a rose in the ground and it grows like a weed but not here they don't. Does anyone have any ideas as to what is going on?
    The roses were bought from a range of nurseries.

2. JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
    +46,046
    I'm wondering if you have some issues in the soil. Are you growing anything else in the same soil and how is that doing? What was the manure you used?

3. Jocko

Ratings:
    +6,780
    I have many plants and considering most were only planted last year they seem to be doing fine. The manure I use is GROWMOOR Organic Farmyard Manure which we dig in with everything we have planted. The garden has pretty much been left fallow for many years with only the grass getting cut and the weeds strimmed down.
    I did lose the first Fremontodendron "California Glory" but that was well away from the roses I am having trouble with.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • Jocko

Ratings:
      +6,780
      I lifted the rose "Chandos Beauty" I had moved earlier in the spring. I washed the roots, which were about a foot or more long, trimmed the roots back and potted it up in a large pot using Organic Farmyard Manure, compost and a good sprinkling of Rootgrow. I stuck it in a spot that gets full sun from sunrise until about tea time. It looks like it has viable shoots on it but was doing nothing where it was. I'll see if it takes off.
      I have ordered a new "Chandos Beauty" (pot grown) and I will put it in the same spot the first one was before today. I removed all the compost it was in and dumped that elsewhere. I have added Organic Farmyard Manure into the bottom of the hole. When the new one arrives I will backfill the hole with a 50:50 mix of compost and soil from the garden.

• JWK

Ratings:
      +46,046
      I still think it could be soil related although other plants do ok in it. I'm unsure about that farm yard manure product, it's not something I have used, if it really is well rotted I would still only use a little to avoid burning the roots. As a mulch it should be ok.

• Agree Agree x 2
      • Loofah

Loofah Admin Staff Member

Ratings:
        +21,666
        How long has it been since planting Jocko? I've had a rose that just needed a couple of seasons to bed in. It was truly unexpected and was due to be shifted but it suddenly just seemed to wake up and get one with it

• pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
        Ratings:
        +85,629
        I think you can over do the manure, it really needs to be mixed with the planting soil rather than a solid lump in the planting hole.
        If the soil is reasonable texture I'd be inclined to add something like bone meal or FBB when planting rather than the manure.

• Agree Agree x 3
        • Jocko

Ratings:
          +6,780
          The rose was planted two years ago. Last year it did nothing. I cut it back at the beginning of the tear and it did nothing. We moved it about seven weeks ago to the new position and nothing has changed.

• Jocko

Ratings:
          +6,780
          What can be wrong with the soil? It has been lying fallow for a number of years until it was rotovated a couple of years back. The manure is well rotted. It is just like rich compost. We usually dig some into the soil in the bottom of the hole, add compost on top, and then plant the plant, whatever it may be.

• Like Like x 1
          • JWK

Ratings:
            +46,046
            I've seen weevils in grassland so there could be nasties waiting for your ornamentals. I know it's unlikely as you would have seen them when digging the planting holes. I'm guessing you don't know exactly what that area was used for, perhaps the builder mixed concrete there or some other building chemical was washed off. Grass is a bit more tolerant. I can't think what else could be wrong.

• Freddy

Freddy Miserable git, well known for it

Retired - yay!
            Ratings:
            +12,508
            Something to note. I fell foul of contaminated composted organic farmyard manure a couple of years ago. Plenty of info regarding Aminopyralid (weed killer) contamination on the net.

• Like Like x 1
            • Informative Informative x 1
            • Jocko

Ratings:
              +6,780
              The garden has been just that since the house was built 70 years ago. It was a well-kept garden growing fruit, vegetables, and flowers until a few years ago when dad died. Mum kept on top of it but became too frail and because we were too far away and working all I did was cut the grass and strim the weeds. Mum got a neighbour to cut the hedge for her.
              @Freddy Weedkiller in compost and manure is worrying. The only way to get around that is not to use either in the garden.
              Gardening is far more complicated than I had imagined.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
              • Jocko

Ratings:
                +6,780
                This is the rose "Chandos Beauty" I just lifted and potted up. I think it is viable, going by the tiny shoots, though they have not progressed beyond that for many weeks.

Chandos Beauty potted up 5-6-22.jpg

• JWK

Ratings:
                +46,046
                Another thought is the use of organic matter in the bottom of a planting hole, I avoid it because compost just fades away within a year. This leaves a hole and creates a sump. In clay soil it can trap water.

• Like Like x 1
                • pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
                  Ratings:
                  +85,629
                  Looks like you have the graft above soil level, I believe with roses its normal to plant them with the union below the surface.

• Agree Agree x 2