1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Problems with Cannas

Discussion in 'Tropical Gardening' started by Sihitch, Aug 11, 2015.

1. Sihitch

Sihitch Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Hi I bought 2 canna Lillies a couple of years ago and planted them out, I did lose 1 over winter, but the other produces some leaf each year but never flowers. I have a sheltered, south facing garden on the South coast, so frosts not a massive problem, therefore I have just left it in the ground. Should I lift it to get it to flower next year? I have heard about a virus, is this why it's not flowering?

2. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +86,077
    Need a pic, cant say without one for sure, regarding virus?

Might just be that it needs a flying start, they can be a bit slow getting going if left in the ground.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • PeterS

PeterS Total Gardener

Retired
      Ratings:
      +4,015
      I think its a lot to do with temperature. I have two pots of Canna altensteinii, which were overwintered together as rhizomes. One pot was put outside after the last frost and is now one foot high, and the other has been inside my conservatory, where its a lot warmer. The inside one reached 8 feet and then had to be put outside as it was too big. It has already flowered, whilst the other isn't even thinking about flowering.

• Like Like x 1