Processing the Harvest

Discussion in 'Edible Gardening' started by Phil A, Sep 17, 2011.

1. colne

colne Super Gardener

Ratings:
    +799
    So, no takers on exponential growth curves and the use of electronic media topic?....but as gardeners you are versed in growth without checks, and what will be our checks as a species that will stop us from all being implant laden, wi-fi enabled, couch machines?

I picked up a book of the pioneer women's journals, 'Covered Wagon Women' from the library book sale - full of the sort of posts like "Jeb shot a deer today so meat for a week; and the hide will be useful too. I delivered my baby last night, we will call her Sara." Just a quick glance of it though, seeing it had a section on the 'Donner Party Letters' put me off a bit and I went back to reading on the logistics of the siege and battles of Tobruk.

Last night was shrimp lo mein with garden broccoli - and the frozen bayou shrimp from October netting.

2. Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    You posted that in the middle of our night, no surprise no one saw it Colne :biggrin: We were all tucked up with our books on algebra in England.

Must be something they like in the Capsicum thread then :th scifD36: They crawl all the internet, most small websites they take 6 weeks or so to index, but GC they do pretty much straight away.

Seti haven't found intelegent life because space is sooooo big, even if you knew where to point a receiver and the exact frequency you were looking for the signal would have spread out so much you'd need a remote sensor bigger than this planet to catch it.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
    • colne

colne Super Gardener

Ratings:
      +799
      Just disagreeing with your post on principal; seeing you have downgraded yourself from exobotanist to Soup Dragon means your thoughts on SETI are less reliable.

There must be something the bots like in this thread then - 60 views overnight! According to 'The Telegraph' China has an entire army Division devoted to cyber matters! Which is dwarfed only by mainstream corporate cyber marketing trend watching. And I have been talking a lot about buying discounted plants, and a Black Friday $99 TV!

And today the chickens get their comeuppance when they are released into their .. well, using a spot of that maths you all were swotting up on, 170 ft circumference (I used 150 lineal ft of fence, and 20 foot of shed) so

Question from Amanda, a parent:
      what is the area of a circle with a circumference of 3000 metres?

[​IMG]

Amanda,
      The area of a circle is given by the formula A = π r2, where A is the area and r is the radius. The circumference of a circle is C = 2 π r.
      If we "solve for r" in the second equation, we have r = C / (2 π ). Now we use this to replace r in the first equation: A = π [ C / (2 π ) ]2.
      When we simplify this, we get A = C2 / (4 π).
      Now you can put your value of C into this equation and find A. Remember, π is about 3.1416.
      Stephen La Rocque.

Or roughly 2300 sq ft of woods rather than the whole Hundred Acre Woods; by doing a handy bit of algebra.

By the way I have a carpenter friend that had a 'Calculus for Dummies' laying on his kitchen floor so I asked about that, he was doing calculus for fun! He ended up re-doing his whole university calculus I and II after almost 30 years of mostly just using a tape measure. He is the guy we lived in the Far North woods with for 3 years picking wild mushrooms for a living though. (I noticed a book on string theory on his floor last time) This guy, standing next to my wife in Alaska in the rig we lived out of - I am either putting on, or taking off snow chains.

[​IMG]

• Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
      +0
      Soup Dragons are from another planet :spinning:

• Like Like x 1
      • colne

colne Super Gardener

Ratings:
        +799
        I remember The Clangers! And Pinky and Perky, The Wombles, and the African King - but I think you are wrong about Soup Dragons being from another planet. They are from 'Alternate Realities', or a Parallel Universe if you want to be nitpicking.

A parallel universe is a hypothetical self-contained separate reality co-existing with one's own. A specific group of parallel universes is called a "multiverse", although this term can also be used to describe the possible parallel universes that constitute reality. While the terms "parallel universe" and "alternative reality" are generally synonymous and can be used interchangeably in most cases, there is sometimes an additional connotation implied with the term "alternative reality" that implies that the reality is a variant of our own. The term "parallel universe" is more general, without any connotations implying a relationship, or lack of relationship, with our own universe. A universe where the very laws of nature are different – for example, one in which there are no Laws of Motion – would in general count as a parallel universe but not an alternative reality and a concept between both fantasy world and earth.
        The actual
        quantum-mechanical hypothesis of parallel universes is "universes that are separated from each other by a single quantum event."

One has to be very careful with language when talking of psudo, or quasi, existential facts and events. But I liked the bad chicken in your 'historical documents'; so like mine, yet so different.

• Freddy

Freddy Miserable git, well known for it

Retired - yay!
        Ratings:
        +12,508
        What's this got to do with picking plums? :scratch::biggrin:

• Funny Funny x 1
        • Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
          +0
          No, they're just from Childrens television :)

Like Bill and Ben :)

• Like Like x 1
          • colne

colne Super Gardener

Ratings:
            +799
            The dogs at the dollar store, Weasel is in the back, but Lexie, Jack, Flora

[​IMG]

So this is supposed to be a cauliflower, is it? I have a couple of these triffid like things that I suspect were cabbage seed mismarked.

[​IMG]

Here is one of the boxes I have put in my lawn, this is planted with a Kiowa blackberry I started by burying a stem from my main bushes and have cut them free and moved them here. Behind the brush in the back is the bayou. I am using raised beds because of the salt flooding, one can flush out the salt after the water recedes if it is raised. (there was 23 foot of salt water where the planter is during hurricane Katrina!)

[​IMG]

A second Kiowa, I will use this bamboo frame till I install a post and wire one next year - we have a big bamboo stand in the woods across the road so can get any amount free. Blackberries are kind of salt tolerant. I also made a planter for the asparagus and 2 muscadine grapes earlier - also salt tolerant plants.

[​IMG]

This is a lowquat (Japanese plum like thing, a tropical fruit) I bought 5 of these as small seedlings from a 4-H club plant sale for $1 each last spring an kept in pots over the summer. The seller had collected them from under their tree. I planted 2 by my road to the right as well, they are attractive and evergreen with a nice fruit, and here is one in the banana grove in front of the green cottage.

[​IMG]

• Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
            +0
            Damn, broke the prime directive [​IMG]

Since you only want to exist in Colne space and don't really want to interact with anyone outside your own little world then i'm out of my own thread too along with the rest of them.

I'll start a new processing the harvest thread when i've got harvest to process. In the mean time enjoy the rest of your interesting but strange world view Colne.

I wish all the very best for you and yours in the coming year, and hope the trial goes ok :)

Bye bye [​IMG]

• colne

colne Super Gardener

Ratings:
            +799
            Hmmmmm Many years ago I was paid to move a PHd Herpetologist's library - pretty massive one, it took a mid sized moving van, and it was all non-fiction stuff. And when asked why he had no Fiction he said 'Fiction is just lies'. I had, and still have, no response to that. (I meant to disapprove of your post but liked by mistake.) Liked Bill and Ben though, especially the end song, which played as I finished with this.

• Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
            +0
          • colne

colne Super Gardener

Ratings:
            +799
            Oh, well, Zigs, just back from feeding the chickens......and having had a thought on your last post wile out I decided to end it at GC. I am naturally a very aggressive person but know trying to brazen it out and keep posting here after you told me to go would be wrong. I do not mind confrontation, but am not intentionally rude.

I would add though, that I am glad you did man up and finally say what you feel. The reason I never contributed money to GC is not because I am cheap, but because I figured that if you, the admins, told me I was unwelcomed that would be a bit awkward.

• Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
            +0
            All the best to you and yours Colne, I hope you can find a forum that knows what on earth you are on about in 2015 :)

• colne

colne Super Gardener

Ratings:
            +799
            Just popped by, clearing out some computer odds and ends, thought I would see how it was going...... not much I guess, but as long as here....

A three day freeze passed last week, hard freeze, and it was a sight with so many plants everywhere all wrapped up in anything possible, every spare sheet and blanket, and it seems with some success. But spring comes here with an explosion, the feel is of a coiled spring waiting to snap. All is buds still tight, but waiting. Underground the hundreds of bulbs must be cell dividing, and I am producing large amounts of waste with a very heavy pruning of everything. Gingers, swamp hydrangeas, canna and other lilies levelled - then grapes, fruit trees, berries, roses and flowers, cut severely - and just everything

""March comes in like a lion, and goes out like a lamb"" - but more goes out like a hippopotamus on the bayou, it stays till next winter.

Chickens are still huffy about the penning up, but there it is. Pond is just amazing, and dogs always up to something. I was not selected for a jury, and my trial over the undersized fish continued till March because the officer could not attend. I cut down huge oak which was dyeing, sad time there. Harvesting loads of stuff - greens and turnips, 3 kinds lettuce. So a good by picture from the bayou. Hope you all continue well.

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
            • Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
              +0
              Ello Colne :)

Happy New Year to you :)