1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

programmes to watch

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by Logan, Jul 27, 2017.

1. Logan

Logan Total Gardener

housewife
    Ratings:
    +44,531
    TONIGHT BBC 1
    Panorama special
    20190718_070930.jpg

2. Verdun

Verdun Passionate gardener

Ratings:
    +17,487
    Can take or leave tv esp in the summer. Anyway, anything I really want is recorded. Enjoyed Dark Money though. :)

• Like Like x 1
    • Upsydaisy

Upsydaisy Total Gardener

Living in hope of world wide peace.
      Ratings:
      +54,374
      Agree, we seldom have it on. I was so surprised when our middle son said he watched the cricket in Sunday!! Wanted to say ( but held back :heehee: ) get off your butt and into your new garden!!:gardening:

• Friendly Friendly x 1
      • Logan

Logan Total Gardener

housewife
        Ratings:
        +44,531
        I still like to watch a bit of telly in the evening through the summer,when there's something good on, that's the only time i can sit down without falling asleep. :snooze:
        :tired:

• Like Like x 1
        • Upsydaisy

Upsydaisy Total Gardener

Living in hope of world wide peace.
          Ratings:
          +54,374
          I do sometimes search online if I am really bored .
          I like Walter Presents....which shows foreign films...( no not that type!!;):heehee:) with subtitles.
          Also recently came across the Canadian police drama programme Cardinal which although a tad gory ( I close my eyes) is good. I like to suss out who committed the crime rather that actually see the crime itself.
          Must have been a detective in my past life.......Sherlock?????:roflol:

• Funny Funny x 1
          • Logan

Logan Total Gardener

housewife
            Ratings:
            +44,531
            Tonight on channel four
            New series at 8pm

• Logan

Logan Total Gardener

housewife
            Ratings:
            +44,531
            Just finished watching the last episode of Killing Eve, it was great. Can catch up on iplayer.
            This isn't from last episode

• Agree Agree x 1
              Last edited: Jul 27, 2019
            • Mike Allen

Mike Allen Total Gardener

Retired. Plant Pathologist.
              Ratings:
              +6,097
              Watching the telly. OK as you all know I'm close to the 80 on the age scale. Yippeee we olduns are enjoying or vommiting at our free TV licence.

So firstly. I apologise for growing old. Perhaps the medics have a question to answer.

Now to what do we owe the privilege of the BBC. What do they offer? The News. London news, well you have just watched that. Aha, the weather. Really with modern day science. How many times does the licence payer need to be told about the weather. Then sport. I am not against sport but why, how has sport taken over what we watch. Modern technology allows vast expansion so. BBC Stop deleting viewers regular episodes for golf, soccer tennis etc. Open up new sites to cater for sports etc. Perhaps also. Answer the question. How come Liniker is paid so so much. To the non sporter he is crap.

• Like Like x 1
                Last edited: Aug 20, 2019
              • Logan

Logan Total Gardener

housewife
                Ratings:
                +44,531
                I like documentaries and good dramas like Killing eve that I've just watched. I do like seeing the weather and they do so many because it changes so much.

If i don't like what's on there's always something on YouTube or on Amazon prime tv

• Agree Agree x 1
                • Doghouse Riley

Doghouse Riley Head Gardener

"Pleasantly unemployed."
                  Ratings:
                  +4,411
                  Margarita Mamun.

I watched the BBC Storyville documentary the other night called "Over the Limit."

It was a repeat....Well... It's BBC4 innit?

I saw it a year or so ago but it was worth watching again.
                  It was on this then twenty year-old Russian Rhythmic Gymnast.

She has a very striking attractive appearance, having a Russion mother and a Bangladeshi father. What struck me was the constant bullying crap she put up with from an overbearing middle aged senior coach, with a peculiar idea of what was fashionable.(In one clip she was dressed like an aging cowgirl), contrasting with her supportive and very tactile personal coach, which at first made me feel uncomfortable until I checked that she was a forty year old married woman with two kids, so I think she was just being "motherly," as the girl seemed to spend most of her life in a state of self doubt, extreme nervousness and misery.

If you weren't aware of the situation, you'd think that there'd be no happy ending given the obvious physical suffering these athletes endure, but she won the all-round 2016 World Championships, then went on to win the gold medal for the same combined event at the Rio Olympics. She beat her fellow Russian competitor, who was always considered better than her, a fact which the head coach often told Margarita, but although the other girl was thought a shoe-in for the gold, she messed up one of her routines.

Margarita still holds the record for the highest number of points achieved in this combined discipline.

Two days after she returned from Rio her father died of cancer.

She gave up competing some months later.

She now coaches and has traveled widely.

During the documentary, you saw her at happiest, talking on the phone to her boyfriend a 29 year-old Russian Olympic swimmer. They became engaged and married in 2017.

in July 2019 she announced they were expecting their first child.

In Russia she is adored by thousands of young girls and got mobbed after competions by many of them. Some 40,000 young Russian girls are actively involved in Rhythmic Gymnastics.

I've always considered it more graceful and watchable than "wham bang, thank you mam" conventional gymnastics (which I do like to watch). Even in the floor exercises, with conventional gymnastics, there's supurb tumbles, but little artestry, though they try.
                  Rhythmic Gymnastics is a sport at which the Russians excel. In the team events the girls try to appear physically the same, which always reminds me of that old Robert Palmer video "Addicted to Love" where all the girls pretending to be the backing musicians, wear the same makeup.

This is a video of her gold medal winning performance. Routines with, hoop, ball, clubs and ribbon. The documentary is on YouTube and the BBC i>player.

• Like Like x 1
                  • Logan

Logan Total Gardener

housewife
                    Ratings:
                    +44,531
                    Yes BBC 4 is for repeats and sometimes dramas. On a Friday evening they show music documentaries and they always repeat them.

• Doghouse Riley

"Pleasantly unemployed."
                    Ratings:
                    +4,411
                    Given the ridiculous number of repeats, eleven years ago, I "christened" this channel :-

BBCB4

BB See Before!

Urban Dictionary: BBCB4

• pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
                    Ratings:
                    +85,716
                    I remember years ago when you had to look in the newspaper or the TV times/Radio times to find out what was on.
                    Often there would be an R after the programme and the description, the R meant it was a repeat, which usually meant it wasn't worth watching, as you had seen it before.

These days everyone seems to love watching repeats:scratch:.

They cant get enough of them, all this talk of box sets etc.:scratch:

Personally I dont understand it, but apart from a very few programmes I cant think of anything I want to watch over and over again, I might do it on the odd occasion for nostalgia or to relieve total boredom.

I think most people seem to have been conditioned to repeats.:smile:

• Agree Agree x 1
                    • Doghouse Riley

"Pleasantly unemployed."
                      Ratings:
                      +4,411
                      I think one of the reasons why people will watch some repeats, is that the quality of programmes these days is often very poor.
                      Too many cookery and house programmes, cheap to produce quizes and many trivial programmes built around a name. Broadcasters are "obsessed" with celebrities, I'm not.
                      I quite like animal programmes, but the mention of Kate Humble and more recently, that bimbo Helen Skelton as presenters of a programme puts me off and I won't watch them unless a well known naturalist is involved.

A few months ago the BBC announced that they weren't going to make another series of "Flog It" Big deal, they don't need to, they must have enough episodes in the can to repeat ad infinitum.

• Agree Agree x 2
                      • Like Like x 1
                        Last edited: Aug 21, 2019
                      • Logan

Logan Total Gardener

housewife
                        Ratings:
                        +44,531
                        If i person doesn't like a programme they don't have to watch it.

I don't watch those "flog it " big deals programmes, i like documentaries and some dramas. Tried to watch Poldark but couldn't get into it so didn't bother. I went through a phase that i didn't like the costume dramas there were too many at the time. :smile: