1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Pruning a money plant?

Discussion in 'Cacti and Succulents' started by nikirushka, Oct 28, 2015.

1. nikirushka

nikirushka Gardener

Ratings:
    +93
    I need to do this but I'm scared I'll muck it up! This plant has sentimental value, I almost lost it once and really don't want to again. So I guess I'm just after some reassurance!

You can see it's gone a bit wonky - it's supported on the right by my dracena's pot because otherwise it would be living on its side! So, what's the best way to prune this (safely!) and get it back into a more compact, self-supporting shape please? moneyplant.jpg

• Like Like x 1
    • WeeTam

WeeTam Total Gardener

Ratings:
      +5,099
      Of interest to me too as mines getting a bit ott.

• WeeTam

WeeTam Total Gardener

Ratings:
      +5,099
      Id think about taking an offcut just incase the big guy dies off especially with it having sentimental value. My one drops small branches that I put on any plant pot surface and away they go rapido style.

• Agree Agree x 1
      • pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
        Ratings:
        +86,067
        Not met anyone who has managed to kill one of these yet.:biggrin:

You can cut it back as much as you like, within reason.

I'd be inclined to just root a few leaves, they root easily on damp gritty compost or sand.

Virtually any part of the plant can be used for propagation.

Just hold off a bit on the watering if you cut it back hard.

• nikirushka

nikirushka Gardener

Ratings:
        +93
        Thanks guys, I'll root a new bit first. The little sprout in the pot is coming up from the roots so I might be able to wheedle that off and repot it before I go for the prune. *bites fingernails*

• ARMANDII

ARMANDII Low Flying Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
        +100,836

"How to Prune a Money Tree to Keep the Leaves Low to the Twisted Trunk Without the Long Stems

Snip back stems just in front of a leaf or node to remove length. Cut no more than 1/3 of a stem and snip it at a 45 degree angle to promote new growth.

Cut out dead twigs to keep the money tree healthy and keep the tree from wasting energy resources on a branch that is not going to spring back to life. Snip off back to the base of the plant, or 3 inches past the last dead portion of the twig if a significant amount of it is still alive. If cutting near the twisted main stem of the plant, cut 1 inch out from the trunk to prevent scarring.

Trim back the top stems of the tree to prevent the money tree from growing taller, after it reaches the height you want. For indoor plants, keeping the money tree pruned low to the twisted trunk will help you control it's size.

Snip off new stems that form on the base trunk of the money tree plant if they are growing near the bottom of the twisted trunk. These need to be removed to keep the interesting trunk visible and stop the tree from putting energy into unwanted growth. Snip off close to but not flush with the trunk."

• Like Like x 2