1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Pruning dog roses/ramblers

Discussion in 'Roses' started by MAJ, May 2, 2019.

1. MAJ

MAJ Gardener

Ratings:
    +28
    Hi there. I'm quite confident pruning bush roses, but always a bit doubtful around dog roses and ramblers. One here has lots of leaves, but hasn't been flowering (assume needs feeding...) - there are two or three other really leggy ones intertwined. So you have the long stems with nothing on, a couple of side branches, and then a load of leaves at the top. Should I cut right back - always worried, as there are no buds on the long thick stems? Is it too late? Should I try and get more horizontal like climbers? Never quite sure with these what the aim is. P1040847.JPG P1040879.JPG P1040879 (2).JPG P1040878.JPG Any advice welcome. Thank you.

2. wiseowl

wiseowl FRIENDLY ADMIN Staff Member

Philosophy of people
    Ratings:
    +89,818
    This is what you should do;)
    Good afternoon @MAJ my friend I take that they are ramblers,which only flower once a year usually in June,and not climbers,Ramblers and Dog Roses are usually pruned after they have flowered and Hipped in late Summer ,it is easier to prune when it is leafless then you can see the canes and get the shape that you want.
    Remove all dead, diseased, dying and weak shoots,Cut some of the old woody branches to the ground, retaining a maximum of six young, vigorous stems that can be secured to supports,Saw away any dead stumps at the base of the plant, where rain can collect and encourage rot,Shorten side shoots on the remaining branches and prune back the tips by one third to one half, to encourage branching,Give pruned plants a boost in the following spring by spreading a granular rose fertiliser over the soil and mulch them with a 5cm (2in) layer of garden compost or well rotted manure:smile:

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    • MAJ

MAJ Gardener

Ratings:
      +28
      Thanks @wiseowl