1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Pruning Raspberries - Very Confused

Discussion in 'Edible Gardening' started by intel, Feb 17, 2014.

1. intel

intel Gardener

Ratings:
    +497
    I got my Allotment in June last year and amongst all the weeds was a Raspberry
    bush about 3 foot high and I guess about 12
    inch's wide...........I can remember there were 1 or 2 berries on the bush
    at that time and there were a lot more (but maybe only about 20 berries) in late
    September, so I guess I have a Autumn fruiting bush but not 100% sure

My question is should I be cutting this back to ground level or leave them a few
    inches high? also all the canes look the same, they are all the same brown colour
    and you cant tell which is last years wood, which again points to Autumn Fruiting
    bush, maybe?

Should I prune this bush back to the ground? I suppose the worst that will happen is
    that I wont get any fruit this year?....thanks for any help you can give.

2. Steve R

Steve R Soil Furtler

Carer
    Ratings:
    +3,699
    Normally, when you harvest a Raspberry, you leave a little white cone behind on the stem, in time this turns black but remains on the stem.

You can safely cut back any that had fruit on last year, signified by the little black cones. If that leaves you with just two or three stems then cut all of those back too as you will not lose too much fruit. Any stems that only grew last year, to fruit this year should have some green on them, the fact that you say yours are brown means you can cut them off.

I cut mine as close to the crown as I can.

Steve...:)

• Agree Agree x 2
    • intel

intel Gardener

Ratings:
      +497
      Thanks m8, I think the plot has been edit.JPG neglected for a while, so I don't suppose the canes
      have been cut back for a while and the fruit I saw last September was probably
      growing on old canes (is that possible).......old picture showing the Raspberry Bush
      when I took the plot over , going to take another photo tomorrow (before I cut it back)

• intel

intel Gardener

Ratings:
      +497
      Got up bright and early and took a another photo this morning, the only difference
      between the canes seem to be that some are thicker then others (photo 2 shows this
      better) - so I guess these are the older canes, also noticed that one or two have shoots
      on the tips of the canes.
      20140218_072226.jpg

20140218_072236.jpg

• Steve R

Steve R Soil Furtler

Carer
      Ratings:
      +3,699
      I can see in the first shot 5 or 6 canes that are past it, which does not leave too many canes behind once they are pruned. I'd say take the lot off and mulch it.

If it is Autumn fruiting as you know you will get new stems and fruit this year. But one plant will not give you a great crop, a couple of handfuls.

Why not buy 6 or 12 new canes and get them planted?

Steve...:)