1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Pyracantha Problem - Can I Cut This Root?

Discussion in 'NEW Gardeners !' started by polybear, May 24, 2020.

1. polybear

polybear Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all,
    My first post :)
    I have a large Pyracantha Bush (Tree?) at the bottom of my garden; the area in question is currently being redeveloped to create something hopefully a bit nicer, whilst being easy to maintain. I'll be using part of a railway sleeper to create a raised bed.
    However, Mr. Pyracantha has somewhat inconsiderately placed a root smack bang in the middle of proceedings, which makes positioning of the sleeper much more complicated than I would like; the Y-shaped crack in the garden path in the first photo is due to the root too [​IMG]

I'm contemplating chopping the root out; I realise it's not ideal but it would make life a lot easier (and the path should benefit too). Any thoughts please - I don't want to kill the bush as I quite like it and it's pretty useful for killing any intruders hoping to climb the back gate or fence; the birds like the berries too.

The Fern(?) in the recycling box is just a temporary measure, as a means of keeping it alive during landscape proceedings :)

Many thanks.

Brian

edit: The root is in the centre of the second photo, just to the right of the green flowerpot

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. landimad

landimad Odd man rather than Land man

Retired Rail worker
    Ratings:
    +915
    We have a pyracantha aside our property, this was hacked back to a stick. It has now come back and has had two flushes of berries. They are a pretty robust shrub and I have a very large on in the back garden, and yes the birds love them.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
    • landimad

landimad Odd man rather than Land man

Retired Rail worker
      Ratings:
      +915
      If after you feel exposed to the area, then use these deterrent strips. Prick sticks are great at stopping intruders.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
      • polybear

polybear Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
        +0
        Thanks for the replies; I have some of the Prickle Strips already, along the top of a fence and also above the garden gate. However, they're not a patch on the Pyracantha [I have the scars :( ] and I'm hoping that I won't do it harm if I cut the root.