1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Qualifications

Discussion in 'Gardening Discussions' started by Dormouse, Jul 21, 2019.

1. Dormouse

Dormouse Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,
    I'm thinking of taking a gardening course for a possible career change but have a bit of a dilemma...

I have been self learning the RHS level 2 theory to take exams and had planned to take the RHS practical certificate as a part time course which I think would add up to the level 2 Diploma. Annoyingly my local college have now stopped the RHS practical course but do the City and Guilds level 2 certificate. Would it be stupid to get a mix of RHS theory and City and Guilds practical? As I need to carry on working part time I could only take the City and Guilds certificate not diploma. Job ads seem to ask for level 2 but don't specify which. Would a certificate be enough for an entry level job? Is work experience more important? Any advice greatly appreciated!

Megan

2. Mike Allen

Mike Allen Total Gardener

Retired. Plant Pathologist.
    Ratings:
    +6,097
    Hello Megan and welcome to the forum.

H'mm! strange but I have just read a similar question on another gardening forum. Never mind eh. I certainly admire your intentions and hope all works out well for you. Sadly many colleges have dropped part time courses.

Have you contacted the RHS at Westminster to find out what they may be able to offer. Cty & Guilds are good and will in most cases get you in, so to speak. Many local councils often cater for students, either full time or part time.
    I have to confess that over the years, I have had mixed feelings about certificates and diplomas. In the past I have had mixed experiences with the holders of such. In my book, Practical experience vastly outweighs theory. Have you thought about contacting your local parks dept and perhaps doing some part time work and prove yourself to the head of dept that you are worth helping and getting you a good certified grade?

Megan. I sincerely wish you all the very best.

• Like Like x 4
    • shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
      Ratings:
      +118,515
      I don't know enough about the differences between the courses but some practical experience always helps. Maybe you can volunteer in your spare time. Are there any National Trust places near you?

You could also try googling 'horticultural colleges' to see whether there is one near you.

Good luck.

• Like Like x 1
      • Dormouse

Dormouse Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
        +0
        Thanks for the advice Mike and Shiney. I only have one horticultural college I can get to. I think I will try to get some work experience part time, but might try the course first so I'm not a complete novice. Guess it's easy to volunteer to do basic maintenance but maybe more difficult to find somewhere willing to actually teach you a lot if you're only there part time

• Liz the pot

Liz the pot Total Gardener

Ratings:
        +1,259
        That’s the trouble with many gardening based businesses, I’ve a friend who has given up taking on employees as he covers their costs with the collage work and RHS and finds they leave to go alone.
        You also have those who don’t really like to share what they do and are against helping the public as thy think it takes work away from them. You will very few companies or individuals who are willing to get involved on forums and help people which is a shame.
        That’s not to say you may well ind a local company who are great to work for and you might decide to stick with them for the long term.

• Like Like x 1
        • Nikolaos

Nikolaos Total Gardener

Ratings:
          +4,289
          Megan, it sounds like the two qualifications are analogous from what you say. Logically, the fact that employers "don't specify which" means that they would accept any Level 2 practical to my mind. This would also explain the college replacing one with the other. Why not simply contact the college and check if the City & Guilds is equivalent?

Nick

• Like Like x 3
            Last edited: Jul 28, 2019