1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Question about cucumbers

Discussion in 'Edible Gardening' started by Paul Blackburn, May 2, 2020.

1. Paul Blackburn

Paul Blackburn Gardener

Ratings:
    +52
    I planted 5 cucumber seeds and all 5 germinated and they are now growing on well.I have transferred two into their final pots but have 3 left which are still in 3" pots.Would it be possible to grow these on my allotment plot in 3 suitable pot's.If so when would the best time be to take them to the allotment.

2. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +86,048
    Are they greenhouse cues or ridge types?

3. 2nd_bassoon

2nd_bassoon Super Gardener

Vet
    Ratings:
    +1,840
    @Paul Blackburn I don't have a greenhouse but have successfully grown cucumbers outside for the last couple of years - but like @pete says it will depend on the variety. And even with ok-for-outside plants I noticed a big difference in yeild between 2018 (long, hot summer) and 2019 (shorter, cooler, wetter), far more than with any of our other veg.

If they are a happy-outside type then I wouldn't plant them out until the end of the month - I usually put ours out over the second May Bank Holiday weekend - and pick the sunniest, most sheltered spot you can.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • docdr

docdr Apprentice Gardener

Retired
      Ratings:
      +3
      Can somebody help this numpty?
      I've grown cucumbers and courgettes from seed:
      - Telegraph Improved Cucumber
      - (I think) Tristar F1 Courgette. The other packet I have is Black Beauty...
      The seedlings and plants look pretty similar, and I'm not sure which are which! According to my labelling system, which I thought was flawless, the image below is cucumber:
      Cucumber.jpg
      and this is courgette:
      Courgette.jpg

Is this correct? It is the first time I've grown either, and I have a spare plant I am passing to a neighbour. I want to look as if I know what I'm doing! Are the yellow bits in the upper picture tiny cucumbers? Or courgettes?
      I know I can remove one of the larger fruits in the other picture to find out, but I want it to grow a bit more.
      TIA.:)

• pete

Retired
      Ratings:
      +86,048
      Neither are cucumbers.;)

• Agree Agree x 2
      • JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
        +46,185
        Both look like courgettes, definitely not cucumbers.

• Agree Agree x 2
        • docdr

Retired
          Ratings:
          +3
          Thanks both - I told you I was a numpty.:heehee:
          So two different colours of Unwins Tristar F1 courgette. Explains why the leaves look the same.
          [​IMG]
          I'm very glad I asked - I have four of them! I'll see if a neighbour wants one...
          I wanted two courgette and two cucumber, but I have another couple of plants that are a bit scraggy and disappointing which might just be cucumbers. I've just recovered one of them from the compost bin and replanted it...

I wasn't sure about the male/female flower issue with the Telegraph Improved (remove male flowers to stop females getting fertilised hence bitter fruits?) so have two more cucumbers of a different variety, TASTY KING F1, which are at a much earlier stage.

Edit: Just to reassure you, here's one of my tomato plants. I know what they look like!:biggrin:
          Tomato.jpg

• Like Like x 2
            Last edited: May 12, 2020
          • pete

Retired
            Ratings:
            +86,048
            The cucumbers will be more tender, so it makes sense perhaps that they are not doing as well as the courgettes.

• Agree Agree x 1
            • docdr

Retired
              Ratings:
              +3
              Just an update from "this numpty". Thread is about cucumbers(!) but my courgettes, one of which I thought was a cucumber but isn't, are fruiting nicely. The leaves are a bit odd, it was suggested to me it might be powdery mildew but an anti-fungal spray did nothing and the plants are thriving. The leaves haven't changed in appearance past couple of weeks - just more of them and bigger!
              I've rather fortunately got all three colours of Tristar F1 courgette, although the darker green (no picture) has only just started growing small fruits.
              3.jpg 1.jpg 2.jpg

I have a question, though. Do I just cut off any male flowers that appear? The female ones seemed to produce courgettes before the plant grew male flowers.

• pete

Retired
              Ratings:
              +86,048
              No you don't cut off male flowers, they need to pollinate the female ones otherwise the small fruit at the back of the female flower will just rot.
              The leaves do not have powdery mildew, they just grow like that, powdery mildew looks different.

• Like Like x 1
              • Agree Agree x 1
              • docdr

Retired
                Ratings:
                +3
                Thanks. I'm pretty sure the pale green plant hasn't produced any male flowers, only females and has produced these impressive fruits:
                2.jpg
                ...but I'll leave well alone. I didn't manage to save the cucumber plant I thought was surplus to requirements (and was in the compost bin!) but I've got a couple of TASTY KING F1 plants that are coming on nicely as replacements.
                Thanks again.

• pete

Retired
                Ratings:
                +86,048
                One plant can pollinate another, the male and female flowers dont have to be on the same plant.

• Like Like x 2