1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Question about repotting a Japanese Maple

Discussion in 'Container Gardening' started by Hstevens, Aug 11, 2019.

1. Hstevens

Hstevens Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hello all,

New to the forum and to planting! I was wondering if I could get some of your expert advice on how I’ve repotted my Japanese maple. The pot is 500mmx500mm. I’ve put 25 litres of compost in (tree, flower and rose).

I broke up the bottom roots and am just wondering if the depth is ok, should I add more compost on top?

I’ve also put a gravel mix at the bottom for drainage.

Pictures attached. Any advice appreciated!

Attached Files:

2. ARMANDII

ARMANDII Low Flying Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +100,836
    Well, a nearly 20" container should be fine for your Acer, and the depth looks fine, adding more compost will only give you a couple of inches more, so I would leave it.

I take it, Hstevens, by that you mean gently untangled and spread them out??

Lot's of gardeners have lots of different compost mixtures that they like and use so it is up to your personal experience and like. I use 3 parts General Purpose (Peat Added) compost in my own favourite compost mixture of 3 parts compost, 2 parts sand, and one part grit which gives great drainage while stopping a container filled with only with compost from drying out too quickly...........but it's all a matter of personal choice.
    Adding gravel at the bottom is a text book method that will work as good as any other method I guess. Some add small broken pots to the bottom of the container, others use broken polystyrene at the bottom of the containere, and so on.

Just make sure you water the container, keeping the compost damp but not soaked and every now and then give the Acer a weak liquid feed.
    Let us know how you get on.

• Informative Informative x 1
      Last edited: Aug 11, 2019