Quick question: pruning a Euonymus!

Discussion in 'NEW Gardeners !' started by BrandNewGardener, Jun 14, 2017.

1. BrandNewGardener

BrandNewGardener Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +17
    I have an euonymus in an overgrown bed that I'm slowly getting around to dealing with. Every time I cut something back I find pleasant little 'surprises' hidden beneath or behind. In this case I know there are several fuschia bushes being suffocated by the euonymus so although I don't want to go mad and hack away at everything I can't just leave it.

aDSC_0246.jpg

Could anyone please give me any advice on how best to deal with it? Would you just give it a little trim, thin it out, really go for it and give it a good cut or try to cut it into some kind of formal shape?

Thank you!

2. Verdun

Verdun Passionate gardener

Ratings:
    +17,486
    Hiya BrandNewGardener
    I like to shape my euonymous bushes....have a few different varieties. You can topiarise them, shape as a cone, mound or any shape. Since they are evergreen they then make more interesting features esp in winter. They benefit from hard pruning by producing dense thick structures :)
    So, do you want it to go higher or more compact? You can do either and now is a good time as it will regrow v quickly.
    I would lift the fuschias and anything else there is under the euonymous and plant elsewhere, even in a pot. Prune the fuschias hard back and water well. They have time to flower later in the summer. You can take cuttings too from the prunings.:)

• Informative Informative x 1
    • BrandNewGardener

BrandNewGardener Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
      +17
      Thank you, your post makes me very happy! I adore topiary and have been itching to have a go (I nearly even signed up for a Niwaki course not so long ago!) so I think that's a good excuse to get stuck in. :yes::snork:

• Verdun

Verdun Passionate gardener

Ratings:
      +17,486
      Have a go....pruning is nothing to be wary of esp with euonymous. Its fun too :dancy:

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Friendly Friendly x 1