1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Radish heartbreak

Discussion in 'Edible Gardening' started by Vicym, Jun 12, 2021.

1. Vicym

Vicym Gardener

Ratings:
    +27
    Hi,

I planted radishes in a 12ltr grow bag 4 weeks ago. I harvested today and they are not good. There's about 30-35 plants in there and all are tiny and barely developed but have massive leaves!

What have I don't wrong?is it a room issue, did I harvest too early? Also, can I replant some in the leftover soil or is this soil for the compost bin now?

A bit gutted to be honest.

Attached Files:

2. ricky101

ricky101 Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +4,204
    Hi,

They look good healthy plants with no slug or snail damage, just that you have pulled them too early.

You can normally see the top of the developing 'bulb' part pushing up through the compost.

They also like a lot of regular watering.

Radishes are considered a 'cash' crop, which grow so quickly they are sown between other slower growing crops, as such the compost hardly knows they have been there, so no need to discard it to the garden until the end of the season.

As for replanting them ?? - never tried it, but worth a go if thye still have some roots on them but also sow some more seed so you have double the chance.
    Worth trying other varieties of radishes, lots of different shapes and colours.

• Like Like x 1
    • pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
      Ratings:
      +86,035
      You would usually pull the bigger ones leaving the smaller ones to grow on.
      I think if you try replanting ones you have pulled up you will find they just run to seed.
      As ricky says, sow some more, but keep them cool and well watered.

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • Vicym

Vicym Gardener

Ratings:
        +27
        Thank you. Yes I've been a bit impatient I think. I will put some more seeds in the leftover soil, water and leave alone!

• Like Like x 2
        • ricky101

ricky101 Total Gardener

Ratings:
          +4,204
          The ones you have pulled may be young enough to use in a salad, like micro shoots, as they say all parts of the plant is edible, but the older leaves can become too tough to be eaten raw.

They can grow to about 60cm high, but by then the 'bulb' has often become too woody to eat.
          You will soon be able to judge when they are ready to eat, we all pick things too early at some time of other :)

• Like Like x 1