1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Random acts of kindness to strangers

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by merleworld, Sep 20, 2012.

1. merleworld

merleworld Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +4,087
    The One Show recently did a piece on people committing random acts of kindness to people they didn't know.

One bloke was driving through a toll in Florida, when the toll operator said the bloke in front had paid his fee. He subsequently did the same back home when driving through a toll :wub2:

Another lady was playing shove ha'penny in a cafe with her little boy using a thimble as they had forgotten a toy for him. An elderly gentleman came up and said that it was nice to see someone actually playing with their child and not just shoving them in front of a computer game. He then subsequently paid for their meal :wub2:

It evoked memories for me of a bygone era when people were much nicer to each other (or so it seems) and I love stuff like that, so today I was on the tram back from town, when a lovely older gent asked which stop to use for the local hospital. I told him and also offered him a lift as it was on my way home. It put a smile on his face and mine :)

So, have you ever committed a random act of kindness and would you now be tempted to do so?

• Like Like x 5
    • Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
      +0
      Stopped over in salisbury on the way to the chilli festival, there were 3 blokes sheltering from the rain by the lift in the car park, looked like they were living rough.

Got myself a pasty & bought 3 extra ones. I said that I hoped they wouldn't take it the wrong way, but heres some hot food.

They were well chuffed.

• Like Like x 10
      • "M"

"M" Total Gardener

Ratings:
        +31,885
        New Years Eve, Mr Mum had just returned home; I popped outside for a ciggy (still half hour to go before 2012). As I stood on my porch, I heard sobbing (not sniffling, but heartfelt sobbing!). I opened my side gate, walked up the path and there was a young female, clearly distraught. Her slimeball "boyfriend" had just dumped her (ok, not the end of the world to the older and wiser, but a belly blow for the poor lass). She'd clearly had quite a bit to drink. I consoled her and offered to walk her home. (Couldn't bear the thought that something unsavoury might happen to her).

Once she was safely home, I trudged home, in the pouring rain and arrived at half past midnight. Unbeknown to me, Mr Mum had poured himself a drink (a very *rare* occurance!) and was tapping his foot, with his sad face on ... he was eager to see in the New Year together and I had "disappeared" and he was a tad miffed! :redface: :heehee:

When I explained that I was concerned for her safety, he was :hate-shocked: "What about *yours*!?" Silly Billy :rolleyespink: So, I explained, in simple terms: a young woman, scantily clad, worse the wear for alcohol (and clearly vulnerable!) presented far more of a temptation to ne'er do well's, than a frumpy middle aged person in crocs!

It was random; it was a kindness. Does it count?

• Like Like x 9
        • Jiffy

Jiffy The Match is on Fire

Pyro
          Ratings:
          +31,946
          This is the sort of thing which we have lost in todays world, it don't take much to be happy, people round were i live must keep up with the jonesis etc :mute: , but at lesed i will go out and help people and not take anything for it and they think i'm sad :)

• Like Like x 9
          • merleworld

Ratings:
            +4,087
            Course it counts Mum :blue thumb:

See, if a lot more people did stuff like this then the world would be a much nicer place.

Years ago if I saw some scruffy kid standing outside the local shops while their mates went in to buy stuff, I'd slip them a fiver cos I can remember those days when my mates had money to spend and I didn't. Can't do that nowadays, cos you'd probably get arrested. It's a sad state of affairs.

In a lot of places if you did something for someone they'd wonder what you were after. Central London's like that. If you dare to speak to someone on the tube they look at you like you're a freak (the only person I ever struck up a conversation with on the tube was another northerner - we used to see each other quite often on the way into work).

I once saw someone on the street in the City of London having an epileptic fit while people just walked past them. Having said that, when I lived in Walthamstow the older locals were absolute gems, they just couldn't do enough for you :wub2:

I'm a sucker for a beggar with a dog too (well more a sucker for the dog).

• Like Like x 8
            • Sparra

Sparra Gardener

Mum
              Ratings:
              +240
              What lovely stories, perhaps a thread should be started up " What random act of kindness happened today" whether it was made by you, or happened to you, this thread has turned a very bad day into a nice, positive one for me, so thank you everyone :wub2:.
              :grphg:

• Like Like x 7
              • "M"

"M" Total Gardener

Ratings:
                +31,885
                Sorry to hear you were having a bad day today, Sparra :grphg:

• Like Like x 3
                • Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
                  +0
                  Just remembered the time before when Willow & I were staying up in Salisbury, we were sat by the River having a drink when a bloke came over to scrounge a roll up.

He was a nice bloke, but he'd really burnt his brain out. He wanted to talk but kept stopping because he'd forgotten how to say what he wanted, you could see the frustration on his face. He sat with us for about half an hour, during which time I popped into the shop next to us & bought him some baccy.

• Like Like x 9
                  • chitting kaz

chitting kaz Total Gardener

Ratings:
                    +2,616
                    went to tesco's recently for my daughter she had been given some vouchers for freebies saw a youngish mam there literally counting her pennies to see what she could afford, swapping items for cheaper ones and even took a few bits out that i would considered essential to HER being a new mam if you follow my drift, i approached her with the "do you want these vouchers as my daughter cant use the products due to allergies and it seems a waste not to use them " she looks delighted and said oh only if you are sure and it was a delight to see her get everything that she needed not just what she could afford

also when i go to farm foods i always take loads of money off vouchers with me and give them to young families at the tills i usually say the date is nearly up and i wont use them

it is like that movie " pay it forward "

any produce spare i always share to my clients and neighbours and will never expect nor want payment .....

i think more people should do this :)

• Like Like x 9
                    • merleworld

Ratings:
                      +4,087
                      What lovely people you all are :wub2:

Sparra - I'm also sorry to hear you're having a bad day, but glad this thread has cheered you up :imphrt:

I'm just waiting for Nick Folly Mon to join this thread, cos I bet he's got a few tales ;)

• Like Like x 7
                      • clueless1

clueless1 member... yep, that's what I am:)

Ratings:
                        +19,596
                        I believe in karma (or whatever you want to call it).

Years ago, when I was still a teenager, I was in a local shop where a young kid of maybe 4 or 5 max was trying to buy more sweets than she'd been given money to pay for. She'd been given about 15p, and was still at that age where money is money, and actual amounts of money don't register yet. The shop lady was trying to tactfully explain that she didn't have enough pennies, and the kid just stood there, not understanding, and the pet lip came. I said to the shop lady, "there's enough pennies there, I can see from here" and promptly made up the difference. The kid went away happy.

I've helped a woman who collapsed unconscious and went otherwise ignored. I've helped a woman free herself from the wreckage of her overturned car when other people just stood and watched her struggle in her tangled seat belt. I've kept a bloke from bleeding to death after a hit and run in the street, when again everyone else was going to ignore him.

I expect nothing in return for any of this, except that someone will help me or my family if the need arises. As it has happened in the past.

• Like Like x 10
                        • Jiffy

Jiffy The Match is on Fire

Pyro
                          Ratings:
                          +31,946
                          I would help you clueless :dbgrtmb:

I've helped lots of people, some that i have helped have also kick me in the teeth, they don't get any help what so ever now :mute::nonofinger:

• Like Like x 6
                          • Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
                            +0
                            I've probably said before on here that i've been involved in several seaside rescues, 2 of which, if I hadn't been there, the people would have drowned.

But the one that flabbergasted me took place in front of dozens of people on a crowded beach, none of whom even got up to help, they just watched as if it was part of the holiday entertainment:doh:

A young couple with a toddler had hired a girt wooden rowing boat and while I was fishing I saw that they were in distress, the sea was too rough & they were loosing control of the boat, its very tiring rowing, especially if you're not used to it.

I left my gear & waded in to help. Got the todler off & back to shore, then wrestled the boat up onto the beach, getting a bloodied leg in the process. The couple were ok but exhausted & said they never would have hired it if they had known how hard it was to control.

If a situation like that happens again, i'm going to pick out specific bystanders and ask them to help. Like pointing at someone and asking them to dial 999 & ask for Coastguard etc. I'm sure that would get a reaction.

• Like Like x 7
                            • Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
                              +0
                              This one's about some kindness shown to me.

When Poppie was a todler, we fell thru the safety net as far as benefits were concerned, when wife went off to uni, she'd assumed I would get income support to feed Poppie & I.

No chance, the social said that my wife's student grant was my income & that she'd have to support us out of that. Well that wasn't going to happen as she was off in London so I ended up on a student's dependants grant of £26 a week. Now that was to pay all the bills on the house and feed us both.

I grew my own food, forraged, made bread etc., but there were times when the money just ran out.

When that happened i'd make up bundles of fresh herbs & sell them door to door for 10p a bunch, not a lot but better than nothing. One day I knocked on the door of the Jehovah's Witnesses who lived nearby. The Lady bought some and asked if I was skint again. Later on that evening, there was a knock on my door, I answered but there was no one there. On the doorstep was a bag with half a loaf of bread, a few teabags, half jars of jam & stuff, a tin of beans & so on.

You could have knocked me down with a Badger. Now how nice is that?:dbgrtmb:

• Like Like x 9
                              • **Yvonne**

**Yvonne** Total Gardener

Ratings:
                                +2,347
                                I bought a bunch of flowers and vowed to give them to the next person I encountered. It happened to be an elderly gentleman struggling up his garden path. When I gave them to him he stood there dumbstruck as I give him a cheeky grin and walked away :-) I've also given first aid in various incidents and car crashes but I see that as my duty and responsibility.

• Like Like x 8