1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Random Tree Photos.

Discussion in 'Trees' started by Trunky, Jan 20, 2012.

1. Trunky

Trunky ...who nose about gardening

Professional Gardener (retired)
    Ratings:
    +10,739
    Just a few photos of some of the trees around the property at work. I hope to add more from time to time as the seasons progress.

These Pines sit in an exposed and windswept location on top of a hill. Their roots are in dry, sandy soil. They take everything the weather can throw at them year after year and seem to thrive on it.
    I took these photos to illustrate the way they 'lean' away from the direction of the prevailing winds.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This sturdy Oak sits nearby. I particularly like the pattern and form of the bare winter branches silhouetted against the sky.

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 8
    • ARMANDII

ARMANDII Low Flying Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
      +100,836
      That's the one thing I do like about the Winter, Trunky, looking at the "lattice work" of the bare branches of the trees.:D

• Like Like x 1
      • Sheal

Sheal Total Gardener

Ratings:
        +52,612
        Looking at the pines Trunky reminds me of somewhere.........oh yes, this island I live on! I don't think there's a tree here that doesn't lean and the canopies on them look as if they've been brushed to one side. :)

• Like Like x 3
        • TreeTreeTree

TreeTreeTree I know sh!t about trees

Ratings:
          +247
          Those pines show a great example of thigmorphogenesis, which is the way plants react to external stimuli; in his case the wind. Whereas if they remained upright they would be more likely to get damaged, by purposefully adapting their cell growth and formation, these trees are able to reduce the amount of wind-loading on their stems and branches. Clever stuff.

• Like Like x 3
          • Trunky

Ratings:
            +10,739
            Harmony, it is indeed clever stuff. Thanks for teaching me a new word too, I'd never heard of thigmomorphogenesis before, I'll try to use that one at work next week to impress the boss!
            Those Pines were obviously planted in that location, probably at least 100 years ago. What puzzles me is why? This is former farming land, once part of a fairly large estate, what benefit was there in planting them in that location?

• Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
            +0
            :yahoo::yahoo::yahoo::party::yay::yay::yay:

Congratulations Harmony, you've just won The Gardeners Corner "Best Word of the Week Award"

:love30::love30::love30::dbgrtmb:

• Like Like x 2
            • Trunky

Ratings:
              +10,739
              Agreed Armandii, the real shape and form of a tree is beautifully revealed in winter.
              Here are a couple more photos I took in the same area, back in winter 2009.
              It was one of those magical frosty days where the rime was covering every branch and twig, highlighting the pattern and framework of the branches in exquisite detail.

This is actually a Field Maple, not often found as a fully grown tree in this area. The fine tracery of the branches is beautifully revealed by the frost.
              The Oak featured in my OP can be also seen in the background.

[​IMG]

This is a small Elm, which has not yet succumbed to Dutch Elm disease. I have noticed a few other, more mature Elms dotted around the locality, within a few miles radius, which have also escaped the disease.
              Perhaps there is some genetic common link here, affording some resistance to the disease?

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
              • Trunky

Ratings:
                +10,739
                All the rain here has made this the most 'verdant' spring for many years.
                This woodland strip has many shades of green as the trees come into leaf.

Shades of Green.JPG

• Like Like x 1