raspberries growing pains. help please!

Discussion in 'Edible Gardening' started by Kerry Howard, Jun 21, 2020.

1. Kerry Howard

Kerry Howard Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hello. I inherited some raspberries when we moved to our house about 4 years ago and have been working hard to improve the crop. They were very overgrown and each year I read as much as I can about how to look after them, cutting back old canes, feeding, watering, tying in etc but I still end up with these ridiculous excuse for raspberries! (see pics) Does anyone have any suggestions please? I wonder if the soil is just no good or the plants are too old? I do get some proper size ones and they all taste delicious no matter how small - but it is very frustrating.
    Secondly - next years canes are already towering over the fruiting canes (you can see in one pic), making it very hard to pick what I have grown. I usually prune them shorter a couple of times so they aren't so massive over the winter as they grow loads again in the spring. Is this right? Why are they so tall, so early. Help please! Thank you

Attached Files:

2. JWK

JWK Gardener

Ratings:
    +22,344
    They look to be too crammed, they need thinning to the 4 or 5 strongest and tied in around 6" apart.

• Agree Agree x 1