Recently Over-seeded Lawn

Discussion in 'Lawns' started by LawnAndOrder, May 1, 2022.

1. LawnAndOrder

LawnAndOrder Gardener

Dilettante
    Ratings:
    +275
    You are taking our breath away! ... A really stiff drink now!!

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    • LawnAndOrder

LawnAndOrder Gardener

Dilettante
      Ratings:
      +275
      I have a 17inch Allett mower with these attachments:

10-blade cylinder, scarifier, verticutter, groomer;

what I do not have is an aerator; the closest attachment they have to an aerator is a “de-thatcher”:

Allett QC17D 17" De-thatcher Quick Change Cartridge

Would you recommend that as a substitute?

• Liz the pot

Liz the pot Total Gardener

Ratings:
      +1,259
      You can hire aerators, that might be the best way to tackle that.

• LawnAndOrder

LawnAndOrder Gardener

Dilettante
      Ratings:
      +275
      I did not think that such rapid results would occur so soon after following your advice, especially in view of the recent drought and hosepipe ban. Thankfully, we have recently been compensated with cooler temperatures and veritable deluges.

I cannot thank Liz the Pot enough (and others) for all the advice and the invaluable suggestion to form a relationship with Agrigem.

The result below, even if not yet perfect, speaks for itself.

Currently spiking; one last verticut this year, followed by Autumn Treatment. Looking forward to re-starting in Spring on a firm footing.
      upload_2022-10-7_12-39-5.jpeg

• Like Like x 2
      • Perki

Perki Total Gardener

Ratings:
        +8,371
        It is looking better LAO. Are you going to overseed again after a verticut ? what autumn treatment are you using ?

I am hoping to overseed / topdress the lawn asap the weather putting me back. I usually do overseeding in spring but POA drives be crackers do I probably remove quite a bit of the new grass, hopefully doing it now it'll have established before the fight against POA begins

• LawnAndOrder

LawnAndOrder Gardener

Dilettante
        Ratings:
        +275

Thank you.

I am going to use Agrigem’s (01522 246 491) 3-12-12 Nutrigrow Autumn Turf Pro Compound Fertiliser as soon as their 9-7-7 Nutrigrow Spring / Summer Lawn Fertiliser has stopped working – I have been using the latter in conjunction with their excellent Kelpak Seaweed 5L (that really is stunning, with almost immediate effect [my short-suffering wife helps me with it, as we alternately share the burden of a 14 litre spraying knapsack – we only fill it up to five litres at a time because we are lazy], resulting in a lush velvety springy lawn).

My instinct is to hold back with overseeding (it’ll all end up in the critters’ bellies and be killed by the frost [?]); on the other hand, when you overseed in Spring, you can’t use fertilizers strong in Nitrogen for four months ... I haven’t not been able to solve this conundrum; perhaps Liz the pot could advise us on this?

I have just had a talk with Agrigem regarding Poa Annua and, sadly, there is nothing selective on the market, so Liz’s advice to feed/mow/verticut is probably best.

Having struggled for ever with the strenuousness of spiking, I have bitten the bullet a few months ago and acquired an “Aerdrain Fork” (a serious tool [and seriously uneconomical] from a company called Sisis); having winced at the price, the implement soon convinced me: it is entirely made of heavy-duty stainless steel and penetrates through the turf like a sharp knife through melted butter and the spikes can be substituted for hollow tines if desired; be advised though that the five (not three as on their website) spikes are not as long as their photograph suggests; however, the newly-designed shorter spikes allow you to loosen the soil under the grass if you apply a slight rotation to the handle when the spikes are fully immersed, creating air pockets and giving the entire lawn a bouncy feel. I did this just after the drought and the grass just soaked up the ensuing rain; within days and with help from the seaweed, the entire surface was emerald green. Mrs Lao does not get involved in spiking, having too gentle a personality.
        [​IMG]

• Perki

Perki Total Gardener

Ratings:
        +8,371
        Feed the lawn before an overseed in spring /autumn if you wish a feed like the 9-7-7 I doubt will be coated so will be absorbed / dispersed in about 7days an autumn feed I wouldn't be bothered about putting on at the same time , I wouldn't worry to much about if its straight feed other products like 4-1 are big no , don't use an iron either on a over seed for about a week or again easier to do before an overseed . Something going to try and eat the seed spring or autumn ( wood pigeon :mad: ) its just how it is .

Should be be fine for the frost yet the ground nice and warm / damp perfect conditions seed should germinate in 7-10days .

I wouldn't say you're lazy with the knapsacks they heavy especially when they are full to the top, I usually on mix 5L at a time.

Anything starting with Sisis is going to be expensive , even I am a bit surprised how much that fork cost. I am keeping my eye out for a cheap used powered one ( sisis /camon / other ) only use them 1or2 times a year so expense and use is a problem .

I've ordered some autumn feed this afternoon I use the ICL range .

• LawnAndOrder

LawnAndOrder Gardener

Dilettante
        Ratings:
        +275

Are you saying that “4 in 1” is a “No” because it would kill the germinating seeds from overseeding?

Overseeding is generally advised for Autumn and Spring, but both forbid using “4 in 1” withing four month of overseeding; that being the case, WHEN do you overseed????

• gks

gks Total Gardener

Production Manager
        Ratings:
        +4,427
        4 in 1 lawn fertiliser tends to be high in nitrogen, hence why its recommended to use from April to September and no more than two applications.

So, if your overseeding in Autumn, no problem, you should not be using 4 in 1 in the autumn & winter months anyways. If you overseed in spring, then you should not apply 4 in 1 until mid to late summer.

• Agree Agree x 1
        • Liz the pot

Liz the pot Total Gardener

Ratings:
          +1,259
          Looking good, a nice looking lawn. Well done

• Friendly Friendly x 1
          • LawnAndOrder

LawnAndOrder Gardener

Dilettante
            Ratings:
            +275

To merit such an accolade from “Liz” is the equivalent of receiving a knighthood!

A Law(n) Knight now, I am honoured and will endeavour to remain worthy, come what May 2023, when the dreaded PA returns.

• Friendly Friendly x 1