1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Rechargeable Batteries, not for everything.

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by NigelJ, Oct 11, 2021.

1. NigelJ

NigelJ Total Gardener

Mad Scientist
    Ratings:
    +21,340
    Over the past couple of years I have been using more rechargeable batteries for various things, clocks, radios, kitchen scales etc and generally they work fine. However in a couple of cases the freshly charged batteries have a short life before the device switches off or flashes up low battery warning, days rather than the expected months.
    I had a room thermostat that took 2AA cells and last year they needed changing, so stuck in two rechargeable one, all fine then a few days later flagged up low battery, recharged and the same happened. Used two different rechargeable cells and same again days instead of a couple of years. Then put in two standard AA cells and it has been fine since. This last weekend I've had something similar with a digital thermometer.
    So what's going on: the low battery warning is often flagged by the circuit measuring the battery voltage and when this hits a certain value it triggers the warning. Non rechargeable and rechargeable cells use different chemical systems where the voltage is slightly different about 1.5V non rechargeable and about 1.25V rechargeable this means the warning triggers a lot sooner for rechargeable cells; although the cells are still almost fully charged.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
      Ratings:
      +86,048
      I have come across the fact that certain items only work well with non rechargables.
      Never actually understood why though.

• Like Like x 1
      • Scrungee

Scrungee Well known for it

Ratings:
        +28,997
        The makers of my twin macro flash setup recommend non-rechargeables if using in burst mode.

• Michael Hewett

Michael Hewett Total Gardener

Retired
        Ratings:
        +18,181
        I never put them in clocks, they go flat in a few days whereas 'proper' batteries last much longer (although not as long as they used to)

• Informative Informative x 1
        • HarryS

HarryS Eternally Optimistic Gardener

Retired
          Ratings:
          +16,246
          With rechargeable batteries I always make sure that I buy a good make i.e. Duracell. Also ensure you buy the ones with the highest power rating in milli amp hours mAh. Currently this is 2500 mAh for the AA size , and 900 mAh for the AAA. A good charger is recommended, one that tells you when the cell is fully charged, as this can take up too 8 hours. In clocks they will last up to 6 months. I do find that the TV remote control eats the AAA batteries. I don't have any high demand items, so find the rechargeable work fine for me.

• Like Like x 1
          • Agree Agree x 1
          • JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
            +46,185
            Just bought a new cat flap that only unlocks when it reads our cat's microchip. The catflap has a setting allowing rechargeable batteries to be used without giving the battery low indicator. I never really thought about this before, I assumed rechargeables suddenly lost their power rather than slowly as in an alkaline battery.

• Informative Informative x 2
            • shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
              Ratings:
              +118,512
              A friend of ours bought one of those collars that has the microchip and his cat stands next to the cat flap and lets some of his friends in!!! :roflol: I don't know whether it is only supposed to work when the cat puts his head to the flap but this one works OK when the cat sits next to it.

• Funny Funny x 2
              • Informative Informative x 1