1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Recommend me a plant for acid loving shrubs

Discussion in 'Other Plants' started by Geek2Garden, Jun 8, 2013.

1. Geek2Garden

Geek2Garden Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks Peeps, a lovely bunch you all are here!

I agree, I find container planting more of a challenge in my early learning days.. so may get it in ground and prolong container planting for later , when I am armed with more experience.

I feel really envious when I see beautiful lush lawns in my neighborhood with neat topiary / smart vibrant borders / evergreens - just want to be part of that ship , me and my wife love our new founded hobby , I use to live in a terraced house (no gardens thus no exposure to gardening) and the only greenery I use to see was the odd green bag floating around the pavement, with our new house with front and back gardens already landscaped, its just a case of filling up the borders and sorting my lawn out (more on that in another thread).

I have no problems getting all the plant food I need as it will pay me back in dividends when the plants grow and thrive..

I am sure to be back with more questions later :)

Thanks all !

2. Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
    +12,667
  3. Geek2Garden

Geek2Garden Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    cheers Kristen for your brilliant posts,

the products do look pricey - I feel more inclined towards the Miracle gro products for now, simply because of the popularity and the 'feel safe and protected' factor for a newb, once I settle in over a few seasons, see what I can experiment with :)

4. merleworld

merleworld Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +4,087
    May take a beating now but they should last you for years unless you're fertilising large areas :)

You only need one or t'other, not both :) I've got both because I'm a shopaholic so I alternate - one month Miracle Gro, the next the Vitax.

TIP : If you have a Morrisons near you they are cheaper than B&Q and the like. Or Asda.

You're welcome :biggrin:

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    • Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
      +12,667
      I took one at random:

Chempak Fully Balanced Feed - Formula #3 @8.99 - makes 1,600 litres

2Kg pack of Miracle Gro @9.89 makes 160 watering cans - how big are they? :( 10L each maybe

So cost per litre is much-of-a-muchness

Both will do a similar job. Only benefit of Chempak is if you want several, of different types/mixes, so that you can vary the feed on different plants, or during the season

But just applying a general purpose fertiliser is going to give you 90% of the max possible benefit I would have thought ... so for ease there is nothing wrong with just doing that IMHO :)

• Like Like x 1