1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Recommended Top Soil depth above clay for Lawn

Discussion in 'Gardening Discussions' started by Michal, Jul 31, 2014.

1. Michal

Michal Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Hi,

Firstly sorry about my English :) I am not English guy but I did my best to be self explaining.

I've just moved in to my newly rented house with backyard in very very bard condition. There were like 1.5m high weeds and ground is solid with no water circulation now so 50% of ground is covered by moss.

I decided to dig out everything, reactivate soil to good condition and sew a new lawn there.
    During digging I noticed that my ground levels are as follows:

• aprox. 50-70mm of fine quality top soil (medium weight with easy to crush bigger soil parts and after digging very good water absorption)
    • aprox. 20-40mm of hard clay (I couldn't dig into it)
    • Below Clay there is dry, brown sand. (after I dig through clay in one place I noticed that).

I decided to dig just Top Soil and don't get through clay (except that one place where I did it).
    I am not sure what should I do in this case to prepare my soil for new lawn.

Of course I will remove all weeds, dig through whole backyard, role and water ground and wait till it be stable, then level it.

But what in the meaning time ?

• Is my top soil enough and I should just mix some compost (e.g. Lawn sand) to it ?
    • Or maybe should I get some top soil and then use Lawn Sand ?
    • How deep should be Top Soil in this case ?

Best Regards
    Michael

2. JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
    +46,192
    Hello and welcome to the forum Michal.

Where are you? You can put your location in your profile, it would help to know so we can offer better advice.

No, if it was me I'd try and break up the clay and mix it with the existing top soil underneath. You might have to hire a rotavator to do this, or thoroughly wet the soil to make the clay more workable if using hand tools.

It's possible to do this and may work, but I think the clay layer will cause bad drainage, your lawn will struggle as the roots won't be able to get through the clay and it will get water logged in the winter.

6 to 8" (150 - 200mm)

3. Michal

Ratings:
    +1
    Hi,

Thank You. I am in Bradford, Bierley, West Yorkshire area.

I was afraid to get through clay to don't degenerate natural soil structure. Below clay I have dry brown/russet soil. I assume that it is dry because clay stops water.

Would you still recommend to dig through clay, crush it and mix with top soil ? Then I will have soil depth much greater than 200mm because I was able to dig 2-3 lengths of shovel and there was still ground below (possibly there was a meadow before they built houses there).

4. JWK

Ratings:
    +46,192
    I would try and get through the clay. Probably the house builders brought in this clay layer and it's now compacted (by driving over with heavy machinery), that creates a 'pan' described here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Claypan which is a bad thing. You need to break up the clay layer, don't try and mix it with the soil underneath. It will be hard work at this time of year.

How long are you staying there? It might not be worth the effort given you are renting?

• Useful Useful x 1
    • Michal

Ratings:
      +1
      Thanks !

We plan to say there as long as we don't buy our own home which may take at least 4years (as we live in UK just 2 years now, we don't have any chances for Home Loan even with 30k+ household incomes). So it is worth effort ;) And more than that experience is priceless in this case.

Ok. So Thank you, I will mark you answer in forum as useful ;) Today I am going to dig some more and possibly tomorrow buy a pickaxe (if manual aerator won't move it) to mix this clay with ground below.

It is nothing more satisfied than see effects of hard manual work so I will do it :)

• JWK

Ratings:
      +46,192
      Good luck Michal, maybe some other members will comment on here soon about how they improved their clay soil and will give you more ideas.

• pamsdish

pamsdish Total Gardener

Retired
      "Black Country Wench" in Margam,Port Talbot,Wales
      Ratings:
      +4,445
      Nothing is more satisfying than seeing the results of your labour, Good Luck :fingers crossed:, nice to see someone prepared to put in the work and not look for an instant fix. :dbgrtmb:

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Michal

Ratings:
        +1
        Thanks.

Unfortunatelly yesterday I noticed one important thing. Builders broke my backyard because of their laizyness.

I get through the clay in some places but 90% of area has a layer of rubble left by home builders. So It is not possible to get through it even if I wil have power tool. Excavator is not an option because there is no access to it from the road.

So... I will try to get some top soil and based on luck I can have only what I have without miracles. I am so angry now :/

• JWK

Ratings:
        +46,192
        Oh that's a shame, this seems to be such a common problem these days. It sounds like they have covered the rubble with clay to disguise the mess they left behind. I think adding more topsoil is your best bet, but it will be hard work bringing it in without access.

Is it a large area? You'll need to work out how much topsoil you need, obviously ordering in large tonne bags is cheaper but you need somewhere to offload it then wheelbarrow to your garden. If your backyard is small then that's feasible to get smaller (25kg) bags instead.

• Michal

Ratings:
        +1
        Thanks for still being interested in my issue :)

Agree it is a shame :/
        My backyard is not too big actually. It is like 3.5m wide and 15m long (after measurements), but I wish to sew area of 3m x 9m to leave 25cm nice space next to fence to plant some miniature trees etc. there (30 - 40cm height miniatures) and some Solar charged small lamps.

And I am not going to sew on the last 6m because ground there is going down aprox 20 - 25%, I assume that they build this house in a slope and they left it like that so I am going to just separate 9m area from those last 6m and sew lawn there ;)

So at the end I have 27sq/m to get top soil into with 20% area with 15cm depth and rubble under and 80% of area with max 7cm depth and rubble under. I am not really sure how much soil do I need for it :)
        Lawn calculator result saw me 58cubics (1 cubic is 1600kg) so I assume that I did something wrong there :)

Many Thanks

• pamsdish

pamsdish Total Gardener

Retired
        Ratings:
        +4,445
        With all those calculations someone on here will tell you how much you need, we have a fair few bright sparks. :ideaIPB:

• Michal

Ratings:
        +1
        Great :) And I have one important question.

Is it against law in UK to get top soil from e.g. Plain on no one's ground ?
        (I mean just a plain away from nearest buildings or wild forest (but not reservoir)).

I can't fins an answer to this question in the internet but it may me massive save to get some top soil from the nature instead of buying it form store and it don't have to be worse quality at all. Afterwards I can always mix it with turf or Lawn sand as a nutrition and get some fine soil.

As a alternative I know that I can find someone in my area that tries to get rid of his old top soil for free, but my question above is still actual :) I am just curious what UK law says about it.

Many Thanks

• JWK

Ratings:
        +46,192
        Yes it's against the law to take soil from land you don't own. Every bit of land in the UK is owned by someone so effectively you would be stealing, even if you think it's no-mans land.

Sometimes you see soil offered for free on Freecycle/Freegle - so worth looking on there.

How about asking your landlord to pay for the materials in excahnge you do the hard work (labour) for free. It might appear cheeky but you are improving his property and he might agree to pay.

For your area 27 sq m at 100mm depth (you already have 50mm of topsoil so need another 100mm) comes out at 2.7 cubic m.

• pamsdish

pamsdish Total Gardener

Retired
        Ratings:
        +4,445
        Somebody will know for sure, but, I have a feeling it would not be allowed, because of any disturbance to endangered native species, also you could import something you definitely don`t want, such as japanese knotwood.

• Michal

Ratings:
        +1
        Right :) And good to know. It was reasonable that it is against law, and more than that I don't know UK species so well to know where some dangerous species for my garden are present ;)

Anyway I found someone in Bradford with aprox. 500kg of top soil to be taken free of charge. Question is: Will it enough ? :) Some calc. shown me that 1m3 for top soil weight aprox. 1600kg and cover 20m2 at depth of 5cm.

If I will be able to get trough this clay (which is quite easy) and get to rubble (I should have around 8-10cm then), level the ground, then cover missing centimeters with new top soil, aerate with manual aerator (should be easier as ground will be after re-digging), fill aerator holes with Lawn Sand and if necessary ad some turf on top.

Then wait till soil establish correctly and level it again, remove weeds and ... at last :) sew new lawn ;)

Am I thinking correctly ? Sound like a massive work but,relax behind house in nice lawn is priceless ;)

• Like Like x 1