1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Recording / Logging Greenhouse Temperatures

Discussion in 'Greenhouse Growing' started by Kristen, Apr 13, 2020.

1. Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
    +12,667
    Anyone got a good solution?

I want to record temperature in both greenhouses and outside for comparison.

In the early days I used AREXX loggers. Back in those days I think the receiver was a serial-port device, now they have Base Stations with either USB or LAN. Need to run a PC 24/7 to log the data and, for me, the distance involved and the presence of hedges and brick walls rule out that type of direct-transmit solution.

Rapid Electronics sell the Arexx Temperature Sensor (with External Probe, which would be handy) for £32.34 ... but not the base station :frown: Conrad have the "Kit" which has two sensors and the USB base station for € 90.99 and also various other base stations etc. All looks quite dear though.

[​IMG]

Then I graduated to battery operated loggers with USB connection, typically Lascar

[​IMG]

Plug in to USB, run the CONFIG (to set logging interval and so on), put it in place and press the "start" button. Retrieve, plug in to USB and download the data. Typically the software for this device (and other Chinesium makes) was rubbish - very frustrating to use. They failed after not very long too (probably not intended for damp Winter greenhouse environment)

So having now done a Google I think I have solved my problem ... and that I am in love :)

Google turned up LogTag - a New Zealand company that has been making these things for 20 years (where were they on my Google Searches before?)

Anyone heard of / used LogTag ?

These are actually intended for e.g. monitoring conditions during transportation of temperature sensitive products, such as medicines, and as such may be more intended for Max/Min over the whole monitoring duration - but if they will download Log Data at reasonable intervals, I'm All Good :)

[​IMG]
    Basic model £16 :) , just logs data (same but also with humidity £46). Also available with features like eternal probe and Display ...

[​IMG]
    ... but needs a Base Station £38 to download. (There is a Temperature and Humidity with Display model £80, but not with USB connector, so needs the base station)

Next up comes basic model with a USB interface £20
    [​IMG]

or with a display £30
    [​IMG]

and a 30-day display variant £36 "30 day On-screen summary in calendar-like summary"
    [​IMG]

WiFi variant £145 - which also includes Max/Min reset etc.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Wall bracket £3

[​IMG]
    Protective Enclosure £6 "Dust and Waterproof resistant" (I have no idea what "Waterproof" and "resistant" mean when used in the same phrase! - but I am sure I need one :) )

LogTag Analyzer Software £free :)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
      Last edited: Apr 13, 2020
    • pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
      Ratings:
      +86,035
      I just look at mine and write it down:roflol:

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Funny Funny x 1
      • Scrungee

Scrungee Well known for it

Ratings:
        +28,997
      • Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
        +12,667
        Ah ... Staff ... that's what I need, thanks :)

• Funny Funny x 1
        • Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
          +12,667
          Useful thread thanks. So I need below-staging, above staging, and soil/compost temperatures ... cost and complexity rising nicely, I'm like a Pig-in-Poo!

• ricky101

ricky101 Total Gardener

Ratings:
          +4,204
          Hi,

Think you can drive yourself crazy watching the temperature fluctuations of a greenhouse.:rolleyespink:

The catch with those LogTags is that they are just loggers, not real time displays.

We used to use an Oregon dual remote temperature display but have now made up a little Arduino unit to record more info and via a cable connection to a screen in the house to show all the current temps and the min/max over the last 24 hours.

It could also feed the info to Excel etc via cable or BT /Wifi depending on distance etc.

Thought that kind of thing might have been a natural for you ?

000150.jpg

• Scrungee

Ratings:
          +28,997
          These are the ones I have Mini Temperature Datalogger – Mindsets Online I don't know if they've produced new software since I purchased them, but mine will only work with a laptop/PC and not on phone/tablet with OTG lead, which is a PITA when using at a remote plot.

• Like Like x 1
            Last edited: Apr 13, 2020
          • Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
            +12,667
            Yeah, takes too much time though, of which nowadays I have very little - supposed to be retired but software production now more intense than ever before.

Some years ago I did create a 1-wire system with dozens of connectors on it. Dirt cheap - just a few £quid for each sensors compared to typical household thermostats £70 and up each. My Arduino kit is still in the box ... haven't found the time to have a go as yet :(

I'm not sure I'm too bothered with that (although LogTag do have models with Display, but of course not "from my armchair"). Should have run a CAT5 in with the Water and Electricity when I dug that trench ... although "Mobile-to-Cloud" is probably the more modern solution.

I'm interested in how reality compares to forecast ... and also to understand how my new greenhouse behaves. My assumption is that temperature will fall faster in the small one, but I don't know how much, and what level of protection they both provide on nights at this time of the year when the outside temperature falls - often for only an hour or two close to dawn ...

But an alert in the house e.g. in the morning when temperature climbs - if I forget to open the greenhouse - and if temperature is falling in the afternoon to judge when to close it, would be helpful. A cloud-based data capture solution and an APP on my phone to alert me might be the answer. I have that sort of stuff on my phone for charging the car, seeing where the mowers are, the temperature on all the thermostats in the house, and gawd knows what else ... greenhouse temperature would be more useful than most of those!

"Alexa: What temperature is the greenhouse" ...

• Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
            +12,667
            Thanks. That's been my problem with that type of "USB Stick" that I have had recently - all the Chinesium connectivity and software was below expectation. I'm more hopeful for the LogTags ... I'll report back

• JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
            +46,169
            In my case she answers in annoying voice: "is that the small greenhouse you got got for free, or the medium sized one you've moved from your last 3 houses or the one you got from ebay last year or your blow-away in next door's garden?"

• Like Like x 1
            • Scrungee

Ratings:
              +28,997
              I chose the Mindshift loggers because my plot is a 500m walk from home, I wanted 2 and they were cheap enough to leave there overnight. At home I can easily check on greenhouse/external temps, but those loggers enabled me to see how temps inside polytunnels could fall below that outside (previously thought to be a calibration problem with my max/min thermometers).

How much are the LogTags?

• Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
              +12,667
              "Sorry, I didn't find a device named Greenhouse" ... clearly a CONFIG opportunity there then!

If Alexa can tell you the temperature in your blow-away, now in next door's garden, that would be scary/impressive!

• Funny Funny x 1
                Last edited: Apr 15, 2020
              • Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
                +12,667
                £16 for Dumb ones, but you need a £38 base station to "read" them.

£20 for stand-alone with USB connector, and £30 for same but also with a Display.

Plus £6 if you want a proper waterproof cover.

e.g. here LogTag Temperature Data Loggers - TRIX8, SRIC4 & More

and Manufacturer site: Browse Temperature Loggers | Indicators | Temperature Data Recorders

I suspect this type of "medical monitoring device" will come up as a bulk throw-away on eBay, probably after only being used once for an experiment ...

• Useful Useful x 1
                • Kennyhicks

Kennyhicks Gardener

Management
                  Ratings:
                  +23
                  Might be a dumb question but why do you need to log the temps in the greenhouse i have brought myself a traditional thermometer today will be putting up my new greenhouse whem i get back from woek hopefully pictures to follow

• Like Like x 2
                  • ricky101

ricky101 Total Gardener

Ratings:
                    +4,204
                    Assume you have got the Min / Max type ?

Don't be too surprised if you see temps up into 40c+ on a strong sunny day this time of year.

Thats why auto top vents and louver bottom vents are so handy.

Soon be time for shading to go up, usually use Vitax liquid Shading, if you can find it at a sensible price, a bottle lasts many years.