1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Red robin (photinia) in container

Discussion in 'Container Gardening' started by Bardering, Apr 3, 2021.

1. Bardering

Bardering Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I am going to attempt to plant a red robin photinia in a container (plastic) with legs

is this a bad idea? It’s to gain some immediate privacy in my garden since bordering wall neighbours cut down all privacy hedging on their side of the fence exposing our garden and back of house

appreciate some advice

2. ricky101

ricky101 Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +4,206
    Hi, and Welcome to the Forum

It depends on the height of the plant you have now and the size of pot your are going to use and what screening height you are looking for ?

RR do easily grow to over 3-4mtrs but will take a few years to get to that height and will then be way too big for an pot, unless you trim it to size, plus will need to water it regularly if still in pot.

You might find using quick growing annual climbers like Sweet Peas, Nastursions , even Runner Beans etc as a way to get height and privacy for this summer.

3. Bardering

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for replying!

the height I need to reach is about 2m. That’s why I was tempted with the planter on legs as it would immediately give me 30 or so cm. the spot also is paved so it has to be potted.

I was thinking also about bamboo as I know that can be grown in pots and if it’s clumped can be contained? But more Expensive though.

Should I try and buy a nasturtium that is already quite established or is that not possible?

4. ricky101

ricky101 Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +4,206
    The RR we see in garden centers at a reasonable price are around or less than 1 mtr high so it will take about 2-3 years to reach 2 mtr high and have any bushiness to it.
    You can buy direct from growers in larger sizes but a lot more expensive.

You do not mention how wide an area you need to cover ? one very well grown RR, eg 3+ years old, will cover about 2 mtrs wide if you grow and shape/train it well, but you would need a very big pot to grow one to that size.

Things like Nasturtions are Annuals so die off at the end of the year.

Bamboos woulds also do, but again will take time to grow up unless you buy big plants.

Think waiting for any plant to grow up to give you the privacy your want will take a few years.
    As you say you need to cover 2mtr high, wouldn't a fence or trellis panel work to give immediate cover and provide a frame for the plants to climb up ?

Something different, some of these artificial panels can look ok ..?

000532.jpg

Last edited: Apr 4, 2021
  5. Bardering

Ratings:
    +0
    I think a trellis will work well however it’s a shared fence so I’m not sure if we are able to attach a trellis? (Rented property)

6. DaisyChain

DaisyChain Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, I'm new to Gardeners Corner. I came across the site looking for info about Photinia Red Robin. I bought one recently because it was really stunning with the red/green leaves and stood about 4ft tall, yes it was expensive. I read online that they could be grown in pots and liked a sunny spot with a little shade sometimes. However, I think I have killed mine in just 8 weeks! The leaves have gone crispy brown. I'm asking myself if it was too sunny a position, should I have re-planted it in a bigger pot? Is it totally doomed or can I do something to help revive it?

7. ricky101

ricky101 Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +4,206
    Hi @DaisyChain and Welcome to the Forum,

Going by the poor and mixed British weather we have had recently, have to ask if you are in a different hotter country ?

Red Robin likes full sun and seems quiet indestructable for us so not sure why yours has died off so quickly.

Need to ask what diameter pot it was supplied in as at 4ft tall it would need to be in something well over 12" otherwise it woud dry out very quicky.

Crispy brown suggest its become too dry and just curled up its leaves.

As well as the pot size how often did you water it, daily ?

Assuming it is a watering problem, suggest you give it loads of water so you see it running out of the bottom of the pot or better still, if you have a trug or similar, fill it with water and stand the pot in it for half a hour to really soak the roots, then place it in a semi shaded area and hopefully you might see new little new buds breaking out in several weeks time.

8. DaisyChain

DaisyChain Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi @ricky101, thank you for your reply. I am in the Midlands, so enjoy our lovely British weather, for all it's ups and downs. I didn't water everyday, more like once a week as I thought it didn't need too much water. The pot is probably about 12". So, I will do as you recommend re-pot to a much bigger one, water daily and move to a slightly shadier area and keep my fingers crossed.