1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Red Robin Shrubs

Discussion in 'Other Plants' started by dinp, Jul 20, 2013.

1. dinp

dinp Gardener

Ratings:
    +7
    Good evening all. Three years ago I purchased some very small Laurel hedge plants and Red Robin, though these were much larger. The laurel hedge plants have caught up in size and both are a good size. Last year I trimmed the Laurel hedge plants with the aim of getting them to become bushy. Seems I cut in the incorrect places as where I cut there does not seem to be any new growth. Should I have cut above a leaf node?

How should these plants be trimmed to encourage growth? I want them to grow tall so am hesitant to cut the height down as I am not really sure what to do.

I found one Red Robin that had a really good central, upright 1.3 meter stem. I took this one out of the ground, cut the stems that are not required and potted this in a large pot with a sturdy stick to support the stem. I am trying to grow this into a small tree. It survived the transfer from ground to pot and has put on new growth at the top. Any ideas how I should proceed with this? ( I am also trying this with a fuchsia cutting from instructions I found on the internet )

Thank you kindly.