1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Redstar's USA Garden

Discussion in 'Members Gallery' started by Marley Farley, Jan 12, 2014.

1. Gail_68

Gail_68 Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Hello redstar...totally shocked at your video and how all your plants have grown and filled out...you really have a :wub2:assortment there :dbgrtmb:

2. redstar

redstar Total Gardener

Domestic Goddess
    Chester County, PA, USA, Plant zone 4 & 5
    Ratings:
    +10,604
    Thank you @Gail_68 , yep, walked around this morning, very lush even more. I am leaving for holiday soon, thinking before I do I have trim out all the Virginia Blue bells out of the garden to make way for the next plants. When they are done their leaves just fall everywhere on top of the next stuff to come up. I just cut them off at the ground level with shears, did for years, seems to not harm them, as each year just get more. Hard to see, on the video, but lots of summer bulbs are appearing also, the alliums etc. There is other early bulb greens in that garden to wait for natural dying out before I can clean those out.

• Like Like x 3
    • Gail_68

Gail_68 Guest

Ratings:
      +0
      Hello redstar it was a pleasure watching your ground come alive and have a nice time on your holiday [​IMG]
      How you cut your Virginia Blue bells to ground level...I do that with my daffs once flowered but leave a bit of green so they totally die and they just come out easily.

If you do another video it will be a pleasure to watch it :)

• redstar

redstar Total Gardener

Domestic Goddess
      Ratings:
      +10,604
      @Gail_68 , yep pretty soon the dead heading has to start from some daffs. I only cut about 2 inches from the top, or maybe one inch, just below the seed pod. they are in places that many can just flop on their own and not hurt other things that come up. also the extra green flop deters weeds in that area. One of the areas has huge hostas coming up, I can bend the daff greens under them to have the hosta then be the tall visual.

• Like Like x 2
      • Gail_68

Gail_68 Guest

Ratings:
        +0
        I never knew they held back weeds redstar...now I cut mine about 3" from the ground and I've noticed every year that area is building up with more...I just leave them to go pale and they just come out easily.

• redstar

redstar Total Gardener

Domestic Goddess
        Ratings:
        +10,604
        @Gail_68 , as the daffs flop their green to the ground that covers areas that weeds can't come through, no sunlight. every little bit helps. Yes, I also have daffs that are just covering larger and larger areas every year.

• Like Like x 2
        • redstar

redstar Total Gardener

Domestic Goddess
          Ratings:
          +10,604

• Like Like x 2
          • Gail_68

Gail_68 Guest

Ratings:
            +0
            Lovely show redstar and your land looks lovely now ....if I had that land i'd have dogs running it, as I love pets :love30:

• redstar

redstar Total Gardener

Domestic Goddess
            Ratings:
            +10,604
            @Gail_68 , we did have GSDs for many years. But its a lot of work to care for one, train it right, etc. seems it was all my job. And it hurts lots loosing them. We have cats now. Not sure we will get another dog again. BTW, that recent video is the front yard, I am sitting on the stoop.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
            • Gail_68

Gail_68 Guest

Ratings:
              +0
              Beautiful dogs redstar as my grandad had them all his life and trained them like yourself but for guard dogs having been a publican owner for many years and when he retired.
              I could imagine you miss them loads but training one dog alone is a lot and I find cats adorable having had those besides with my dogs in the past besides feeding many strays :love30:
              So you was sitting on the side steps of your building ;)

• redstar

redstar Total Gardener

Domestic Goddess
              Ratings:
              +10,604
              Was sitting on the front stoop, of the house. there is no porch on the front of the house. the deck is on the back which faces the many more garden area. Fortunate to live on a quiet tucked away round road, one way in, one way out, way off the traffic areas. Only folks that live on this road come in the area. aside from UPS guy, few times a week. If you picture a clock, my house is at the 6PM point. so those that live at the 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, curve in on the right side of the circle, not passing our house. And those at the 5, 4,3,2,1, curve in on the left side. We sit back far from the road also. So it was so safe, yes for the dogs. and also the cats who spend their time on the back deck or the garden room sleeping. No interest in crossing the street.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
              • Gail_68

Gail_68 Guest

Ratings:
                +0
                You sound very private redstar and that's nice, it sounds like your neighbours fall in a top circle going from left to right and your at the bottom away from them :snorky: and your cats won't go far as there's that much land anyway, I laughed at how chubby your cat was on the one video.

• redstar

redstar Total Gardener

Domestic Goddess
                Ratings:
                +10,604
                @Gail_68 , the way our plot of land was cut out, we have 3 acres, and the rest of the folks have 2 or a little more than one acre . also fortunate to have a 5 acre protected woods behind us, and 10 acre protected filed to the right of us. very quiet here, yes. well until Walmart moved in 3 miles down the road on the main road, so more truck noise can be heard sometime. When first moved in 27 years ago, it was dead quiet at night. My neighbor to the right of me are very nice folks. To the left, they just sold their house, so who knows what we get.

Yep, cats don't go far. they are at the age to want to sleep most the day away, three are about 14 years old, one is about 8 years old--he seems like the biggest sleeper.

• Like Like x 2
                • Gail_68

Gail_68 Guest

Ratings:
                  +0
                  3 acres is a lot of land redstar but it still looks in my eyes in the wilderness and peaceful but you live there and no what goes on...sorry to hear your disturbed by truck noise now though..such a shame and I do hope you get descent neighbours on your left.

Oh at your cats ages they just love doing what you said sleeping and lying about a lot.

It's funny how your home is so open with land as I have an on line friend from Arizona and she said her neighbours are like a mile from her...we used to chat on WhatsApp a fare bit to keep in touch that way :)

• redstar

redstar Total Gardener

Domestic Goddess
                  Ratings:
                  +10,604
                  Thanks @Gail_68 . Yep, quiet, privacy and no drama is wonderful. good for the soul. Lots of Forest Bathing here.

• Like Like x 2