1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Reducing Lawn Watering, do you think this would work?

Discussion in 'Lawns' started by greenthumbs, Jun 24, 2010.

1. greenthumbs

greenthumbs Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi
    I am about to lay a small lawn in my front garden. 10' x16'. In my baskets and potted plants I use an excellent moisture control gel called RainGel

As it looks like we are about to get hit with a hose pipe ban, I was wondering if it would be a good idea to spread some of this gel before I lay my turf.
    I know that's not what it's designed for but it seems to make sense to me, what do you think?
    Cheers.

2. Doghouse Riley

Doghouse Riley Head Gardener

"Pleasantly unemployed."
    Ratings:
    +4,411
    I think it would be prohibitively expensive to use enough to make any difference.

3. housesecond

housesecond Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    I have heard good things about this kind of thing. However they are better applied in rain I believe. Make sure you read the instructions.

4. housesecond

housesecond Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Just re-read your origonal post and I'm not sure if the gel is meant for lawns. I've come accross a few products that are used as water conservers for lawns which work well, but they'd need to be applied with a knapsack sprayer, not sure you could get your gel in one of these.