1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Remembering loved ones

Discussion in 'Gardening Discussions' started by Garden sponge, Jan 11, 2007.

1. Garden sponge

Garden sponge Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry that this first question may not be on the happiest note but is there anyone out there who knows if there is a website or book that lists plants named after peoples first names, as I have a couple of recently bereaved clients who would like to remember their loved ones by having various plants dedicated to them in their own gardens (they dont wish to name any specific plants themselves) and it doesn't have to be roses as I have drawn a blank so far would appreciate any help.

2. UsedtobeDendy

UsedtobeDendy Gardener

Retired teacher and gardener
    Ratings:
    +172
    I have a lit from the Notcutts catalogue of more generally named memorial plants, but cant find anything more specific. However, if you have a particular name in mind, try googling for that name, along with "rose" for instance, as there are more roses named for this reason, as far as I am aware. I did this once for a family who had lost their bably daughter, Charlotte, and there is a David Austin rose of that name.

If the Notcutts list would be of use, I could scan it and send to you as an attachment.

3. UsedtobeDendy

UsedtobeDendy Gardener

Ratings:
    +172
    I have just discovered a list neatly filed away and forgotten about!!

It's from a garden centre I used a lot in Herts, http://www.aylettnurseries.co.uk/

I couldn't possibly type it all but if you have a name, let me know and I'll tell you if there is anything for that. If you ahve a lot of this sort of need, I could scan and send as attachment, like the Notcutts offer above.

Anyone else who might be interested, again, let me know.

4. Garden sponge

Garden sponge Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks I appreciate you taking time to let me know shall I just go direct to the sites you mentioned and get them to send me any info save you having to do it I've only been doing this computer lark for a couple of months isn't it wonderful! regards Garden sponge

5. UsedtobeDendy

UsedtobeDendy Gardener

Ratings:
    +172
    The Notcutts catalogue with the info is here....
    https://secure.notcutts.co.uk/default.asp

If you ring Ayletts on the telephone number given on their site, I expect they'll send you the leaflet. It's called Information Leaflet no 45, Plants for Special Occasions.