1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Remove weed from lawn

Discussion in 'Lawns' started by Max6389, Sep 27, 2020.

1. Max6389

Max6389 Gardener

Ratings:
    +14
    What is best way to remove this weed from lawn. Not sure what it is to look it up. Spreads quickly could be from woodland nearby.

E7F79CB4-FD9A-45B2-ABFD-18BDAFAB53E7.jpeg

2. Macraignil

Macraignil Super Gardener

Avoiding getting fired.
    Ratings:
    +774
    It looks like herb Robert to me, which I am happy enough to leave grow in places around my own garden. It has nice small flowers which are long lasting and seem popular with pollinators. Not seen it get established in the lawn and like most non grass plants simple regular mowing should keep it under control. This video clip shows one flowering on our driveway.

• Like Like x 1
    • NigelJ

NigelJ Total Gardener

Mad Scientist
      Ratings:
      +21,340
      @Max6389 I'm not sure that it is Herb Robert (Geranium robertianum) the leaves don't look right and while it happily self seeds in my flowerbeds and gravel paths I don't recall seeing it in the grass. Herb Robert stems have a distinct red colouration and the plant has a very distinctive smell, that many people don't like, when crushed.

• shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
      Ratings:
      +118,508
      I'm inclined to agree with Nigel. Although Herb Robert has three lobes for its leaf they tend to be much more feathery looking. Look for the red stems. :blue thumb:

• Max6389

Max6389 Gardener

Ratings:
      +14
      Hello thanks for your answers. I have looked up Herb Robert and I think Macraignil2 is correct. The leaves on this are rather pungent and I had plants that looked like this in a wild section of the garden so think it may have seeded.

• Like Like x 1