1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Removing Mahonia

Discussion in 'Gardening Discussions' started by Tiarella, Feb 27, 2007.

1. Tiarella

Tiarella Optimistic Gardener

Ratings:
    +120
    I have a Mahonia that I really don't like and I want that space for a climbing rose (waiting in its pot).

How easy would this be to dig up? I have a pot I could put it in if the roots aren't too big (I hate killing things) and then I could stick it in a corner somewhere.

2. frogesque

frogesque Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Mahonia produce quite a large root system that also puts out runners that will pop up a new shoot a little ways from the parent. Dig up one of these runners complete with a bit of root and plant it up where you want it to go. What you then have is a vigerous 'ready made' rooted cutting.

If you dig up the main plant you will probably be able to divide it successfully as well.

Keep any moved plants fairly well watered in hot weather for the first year untill they are established. I always associate Mahonia with acid soils in which it thrives.

Mahonia are related to the Berberis and have simmilar traits. Hardy as they come and will survive the worst of winters and are relatively shade tollerant. Tough evergreen holly type leaves, an early splash of yellow colour and those plum coloured berries covered with a yeast bloom (edible but sharp) make it an old favourite, especially for the birds, so it's worth keeping some if you can even if it's only for underplanting.

3. UsedtobeDendy

UsedtobeDendy Gardener

Retired teacher and gardener
    Ratings:
    +172
    Just one thing to add to Froggy's excellent comments!! That is that although mahonia thrives in acid soils - it doesn't need it. We had a fantastic specimen in Herts, where it was very alkaline.

4. jazid

jazid Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Agree with Dendy (again) and would add that they are relatively speaking quite easy to dig up. Roots look formidable but cut/break easily and are a pleasing yellow colour. In my experience they transplant without problem, almost independently of how butchered they have become during digging up.

5. whis4ey

whis4ey Head Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +803
    Jeepers Jazid ..... I had a large one to dig out and it was a real chore ... such a massive root system and important to get all of the root out or it will regrow .... and that isn't easy
    Pictures of before and after [​IMG]
    (The area is now all grass having finally got the stump and roots out:))
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. Tiarella

Tiarella Optimistic Gardener

Ratings:
    +120
    Well I've done it! We dug it up last weekend and it wasn't too bad although we lost a few of the roots. It's in a large pot now and so far seems to be okay. I put tons of compost, blood fish & bone and fertilizer granules in with it to keep it going, so to speak. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that it will survive the upheaval.

7. UsedtobeDendy

UsedtobeDendy Gardener

Retired teacher and gardener
    Ratings:
    +172
    Well done, Tiarella! I'll have my fingers crossed - but if Jazid's right (and he usually is!) you won't need that! :D

8. Fran

Fran Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    Well done Tiarelly - sounds like a job and a half. Keep it well watered in the summer and fingers crossed it will do very well. [​IMG]

9. Waco

Waco Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    Oh I did like the "before" picture!

I just degardened mine, I just could not get it going and all the lovely sculptural leaves and flowers inthe dead of winter (that never happened for me)

Birds self seed mahonia everywhere near us, can't understand why people buy it.