1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Renewable energy sources - the good, the bad and the ugly

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by Fat Controller, Mar 3, 2021.

1. Sheal

Sheal Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +52,610
    Southern England is predominantly flat but there's no reason why the tidal turbine couldn't be used there. It's also less of an eyesore than the wind farms, being at sea level.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Fat Controller

Fat Controller 'Cuddly' Scottish Admin! Staff Member

Public Transport
      At me 'puter, GCHQ Ashford Office, Middlesex
      Ratings:
      +49,618
      The only way that it would potentially be possible to quantify how much Scottish electricity is being sent to England would be splitting the Scottish demand from the English demand and then doing the same with production. Whilst Scotland does produce hydro power and wind power, it's contributions in terms of nuclear, coal have dropped with the closure/demolition of many power stations (Chapelcross, Cockenzie etc) so whether Scotland could be self-sufficient 24/7 is highly questionable. The whole point of having a national grid is that it is a balancing act. When demand spikes, be that in Glasgow or Chiswick, they can open the gates at Cruachan and chuck more power in (it is a fast start power station) - - later, when demand is extremely low that same power station uses power from the grid (possibly being powered by BioMass in England for example) to pump the water from Loch Awe back up to the storage reservoir.

There will be times when Scotland is definitely contributing more to the grid than it is using, but there are also times (such as when there is bad weather/heavy snowfall) when it is using more than it can produce. Also, let's not be under any illusions here - for every MW that gets produced, the power company gets paid and makes a profit. Indeed, for all of us there are so many companies making a profit along the way, it is no wonder our energy prices are so high.

Our grid is an ebb and flow situation that also leans on production in Europe (just as we can send power the other way if/when it is needed) via a couple of interconnects. Even if Scotland were to have it's own grid, I fail to see how it could ever be completely isolated. Building sufficient infrastructure to allow this to happen and allow sufficient spare capacity to cope with all weathers and all situations (brown-outs, black-outs etc) would cost an absolute fortune... given the Scottish Government's performance at building a couple of ferries I wouldn't let them near it.

This is quite an interesting site which shows what types of power are being used (including imports) versus consumption - G. B. National Grid status

• Like Like x 4
      • noisette47

noisette47 Total Gardener

Ratings:
        +14,388
        It goes without saying that all the Companies are in it for a profit, now. What I do object to, though, is that EDF are acting as tax collectors for the French government. There are no fewer than three taxes (totalling as much again as the actual consumption) which then have TVA added. So, taxed on the tax. How can this be right? :scratch: Sorry for the slight thread drift :redface: but really, you can try to be a responsible consumer (same story for water bills) and in the end you have to recognise that the Gov is taking the pee :gaah:

• Agree Agree x 3
        • Like Like x 2
        • Fat Controller

Public Transport
          Ratings:
          +49,618
          It is not only the French government - we have similar here on petrol/diesel as there is the fuel tax added and then VAT on top, so you pay VAT on a tax and most of the price of a litre of fuel is tax.

Energy bills also include a levy (tax, because you have no choice but to pay it!) to allegedly pay for green initiatives... in truth, it has gone to the white elephant that is the smart meter debacle.

• Like Like x 1
          • Agree Agree x 1
          • Informative Informative x 1
          • shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
            Ratings:
            +118,496
            Smart Meters! Pah!!! :rolleyespink:. They still haven't persuaded me that the meter does anything useful that I can't do myself. I know how much electricity I use and how to turn the heating down and switch lights off. When and how I do it is a conscious decision I can make without referring to an idiot box on the shelf!

Of course, I'm a tech dinosaur and don't have new fangled 'smart' products. :old: :roflol: How much resources, energy and non-renewables go into the production of, and disposal of, these products?

https://assets.publishing.service.g..._data/file/904503/UK_Energy_in_Brief_2020.pdf

If you want to bore yourself silly you could attempt to work yourself through this! nothing to do with what I've said above but to do with power production and consumption. :noidea:

• Like Like x 2
            • Agree Agree x 2
            • gks

gks Total Gardener

Production Manager
              Ratings:
              +4,578
              Your not wrong. In 2010 it was reported that the UK imported 600,000 tonnes of wood pellets, by 2018 imports had risen to 7.8 million tonnes.

A burning issue: biomass is the biggest source of renewable energy consumed in the UK - Office for National Statistics

• Like Like x 2
              • gks

gks Total Gardener

Production Manager
                Ratings:
                +4,578
                The port of Immingham unloads 2,300 tonnes of bio mass every hour, with Drax burning 20,000 ton daily. When you look at the numbers, the horticultural sector uses approximately 2.2million cubic metres of peat annually, tonnage wise that is approximately 750,000 ton a year. So basically, Drax is burning the same amount of tonnage in 40 days that the horticulture sector uses annually.

5 incredible numbers from the world’s largest biomass port - Drax

• Informative Informative x 3
                • Like Like x 1
                • Fat Controller

Public Transport
                  Ratings:
                  +49,618
                • NigelJ

NigelJ Total Gardener

Mad Scientist
                  Ratings:
                  +21,337
                  Drax burns wood pellets grown in the southern states of the USA, felled, pelleted and shipped to the UK in ships. Not sure this can be environmentally friendly, even if carbon neutral as claimed, consider the non carbon dioxide emissions from producing and shipping the pellets, the loss of natural environment in the areas where the trees are grown, fertiliser and pesticides used.
                  Also Drax has received considerable amounts of tax payers money to convert to biomass.

• Agree Agree x 4
                  • hailbopp

hailbopp Gardener

Ratings:
                    +712
                    As of February 2020 when figures were released by The Scottish Forestry Commission 14 MILLION trees had been cut in Scotland since 2000 to make way for wind farms. Phew that is some environmental price to pay for so called green energy.
                    I wonder how future generations will view just how successful wind farms are/ were with regard to the planet or whether they’re just a very convenient visual tool for governments to be seen to be tackling climate change and at the same time making certain people a shed load of money in the process.

• Like Like x 2
                    • Fat Controller

Public Transport
                      Ratings:
                      +49,618
                      How much carbon dioxide would 14 million trees remove from the atmosphere?

To be honest, that figure really scares me - I left Scotland in 2000 and have only managed to be home a few times since, so I dread to think what the countryside looks like now without all those trees. :sad:

• Jiffy

Jiffy The Match is on Fire

Pyro
                        Ratings:
                        +31,945
                        I can't see why we can't pipe to all our homes the hot air that is spooken by most of mp's and other people, that would keep us lovely and warm in the cold months

• Funny Funny x 7
                        • Like Like x 2
                        • gks

gks Total Gardener

Production Manager
                          Ratings:
                          +4,578
                          Then they say coir is a peat alternative, lets just ship thousands of containers from the far east.

When I listen to these environmentalists and mp's, it reminds me of a quote from Ned Beatty in the film "The Shooter"... "The truth is what I say it is"

• Like Like x 2
                          • Agree Agree x 1
                          • Scrungee

Scrungee Well known for it

Ratings:
                            +28,997
                            Tidal turbines must be below sea level to work.

• gks

gks Total Gardener

Production Manager
                            Ratings:
                            +4,578
                            Then there is also the price of all these floods to residential and commercial properties due to deforestation, which seem to be happening on a more regular occurrence. Yet, all we hear, it's down to global warming, yet we are actually contributing to flooding with all this felling.

Deforestation and Flooding | Cambrian Wildwood

• Agree Agree x 4