1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Renovate or maybe start from scratch.

Discussion in 'Lawns' started by mosamahab, Jun 8, 2015.

1. mosamahab

mosamahab Gardener

Ratings:
    +53
    Done for the year. Let's see what they look like come April/May.

• Like Like x 1
    • mosamahab

mosamahab Gardener

Ratings:
      +53
      UPDATE. Picture dump.

Plenty of stuff growing in the garden that I have no idea about. Some areas with shade have lost the grass completely, some is doing well.

Also, it needs a cut. 20160313_132406.jpg 20160313_132415.jpg 20160313_132424.jpg 20160313_132431.jpg 20160313_132436.jpg 20160313_132440.jpg 20160313_132447.jpg 20160313_132454.jpg 20160313_132506.jpg 20160313_132537.jpg 20160313_132551.jpg 20160313_132620.jpg

• mosamahab

mosamahab Gardener

Ratings:
      +53
    • Sheal

Sheal Total Gardener

Ratings:
      +52,610
      The only way to stop the bluebells from multiplying is to take the flower heads off so they don't go to seed. The bulbs themselves will need to be dug out. If you don't dig them out they will take over the whole lawn but obviously if you like them then let them remain.

The problem with laying a new lawn is, it's impossible to get rid of any remaining weed seeds in the ground during preparation. You can either dig them out or put a weed killer down in April when the weather is warmer and the weeds are growing more actively.

In the barer shaded areas it may be worth re-seeding with a grass seed that's produced specifically for those areas. :)

• mosamahab

mosamahab Gardener

Ratings:
      +53
      I don't mind them in the corners, but growing in the middle of the garden is a nuisance.

I did dig out a big bunch yesterday.

I think a lawn weed killer will have to do. But will it kill these buggers ?

I have shady area seed but we get no sun in that corner so I don't know if that would work. It was nice and lush before winter. now it's just dirt.

• Sheal

Sheal Total Gardener

Ratings:
      +52,610
      Lawn weed killers won't kill Bluebells unfortunately, but it will deal with the other weeds. Check the packaging when you buy and that will list the weeds it will deal with. Weedol is one of the better ones.

I'm not sure what those other weeds are, perhaps you could take a close up picture of the leaves please.

Once the weeds have been dealt with try over seeding the bare areas. This last winter has been very wet and many plants including lawns have suffered, so it's not surprising your young lawn has struggled.

• Sandy Ground

Sandy Ground Total Gardener

Making things of note.
      Ratings:
      +5,368
      Do you know if the bluebells are the English or Spanish variety? The English ones are protected by law.

• Agree Agree x 1
        Last edited: Mar 15, 2016
      • Liz the pot

Liz the pot Total Gardener

Ratings:
        +1,259
        You've English, Spanish and hybrid. English version if that's what you have the law allows you to be are able to remove the English version from your own land and dispose if you so wish. You can't however remove and collect them from areas you don't own.
        If it's the hybrid or Spanish version it's best to remove and allow the bulb to dry out and die before composting.

• Informative Informative x 1
        • shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
          Ratings:
          +118,496
          In your post No 107 you have picture 2, on the right, looks like a tulip, picture 3 - not English bluebells and those you have are difficult to dig out, pictures 5 and 6 are Arum Italicum (Lords and Ladies) which can spread fairly quickly and you don't really want in your lawn (we like, and have them in our woodland area).

Post 108 pictures 5,6 and 7 are more Arums. Put systemic weed killer on them, leave for a few weeks, dig out what you can and then weedkill any new growth.

• Like Like x 1
          • Useful Useful x 1
          • mosamahab

mosamahab Gardener

Ratings:
            +53
            I killed the arums with glyphosate last year. They come back. They are really really stubborn.

Those bluebells are all over.

Systemic weed killer, you mean glyphosate them again? Because that will also kill the surrounding grass.

The reason why I had decided to renovate the garden in the first place was because it was full of assorted plants and we always had trouble cutting the grass. So then it got neglected because it was a chore and then it eventually got really bad.

Looks like I have more work to do in the garden.

• "M"

"M" Total Gardener

Ratings:
            +31,885
            The way I see it, you have two choices:
            - either you try to rectify "nature" and kill as much as you can just so you can have a green lawn;
            or
            - work *with* nature and make that area a woodland feature (seeing as the Lords & Ladies are doing a grand job of trying to colonise it anyway). Certainly this is a wildlife friendly plant and doesn't mind if it gets given the shade of a tree (apple, perhaps?) once Spring/Summer comes into their own.

If I were in your shoes, I would be going the "working with nature" route. Why? Because with the perimeter given over to hedging/shrubs, it will leach out much of the goodness in the nearby soil; couple that with being a shady area as well, which presents its own challenges, your options are severely restricted.

I'd be looking at creating a little copse area; a shady haven for the heat of the summer. Lush lawn is going to be a time (and money) consuming ambition, possibly disproportionate to the amount of space which is there. I would go with the flow on that particular space.

Hope I haven't offended; just my two penny worth :heehee:

• Like Like x 1
            • shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
              Ratings:
              +118,496
              Not if you only apply it to the arums. You can get a gel version if you are having trouble applying it carefully enough. :blue thumb:

• mosamahab

mosamahab Gardener

Ratings:
              +53
              I am not too fussed about having plants around the borders. Because I would not have to mow there anyway.

The gardens used to be full of barnyard grass or crabgrass (whatever it is called). There is still quite a lot of it. The mower used to jam every two meters of cut before. I gave the grass a cut last weekend and it was a quick job so the bluebells and the daffodils got shredded. I wonder if constant mowing would kill them.

I am also going to get verdone extra and spray that, seed the bare areas again and pull out what I can in the next few weeks when it starts to get a bit more warmer.

• Sheal

Sheal Total Gardener

Ratings:
              +52,610
              The Daffodils may eventually disappear with mowing but the bluebells will return every year. They will have to be dug out to get rid of them.

• mosamahab

mosamahab Gardener

Ratings:
              +53
              20160405_144145.jpg 20160405_144220.jpg second cut.

• Like Like x 1