Renovate or maybe start from scratch.

Discussion in 'Lawns' started by mosamahab, Jun 8, 2015.

1. mosamahab

mosamahab Gardener

Ratings:
    +53
    So I am thinking of over seeding next weekend but I also want to apply some lawn weed killer.

Should I over seed now and then use something like verdone in a few weeks time OR weedkiller first and then over seed in a few weeks.

What's the best approach to this.

2. Liz the pot

Liz the pot Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +1,259
    Different types of herbicides have various guidelines when to apply seed but many domestic used herbicides tend to relate to newly established lawns.
    If I've got this right Weedol is the new name for the Scott's Verdone so if you look at the instructions and base this on the old name you should not apply on grass less than 2 months.
    This means you should weed kill first if you want to apply seed and give it a bit of time before applying seed.
    If in doubt check the manufacturers website which will in most cases have a pdf file concerning it's use and safety precautions required.

3. mosamahab

mosamahab Gardener

Ratings:
    +53
    Ah I see.

I am trying to figure out the best way to proceed as there is quite a few weeds and the grass is also quite thin after a wet winter.

I like the idea of working with the nature. I am just not sure the best way to go about it.

I was going to fertilize, weed kill with verdone and then over seed. Now I am thinking of just pulling weeds and other assortments out and over seeding.

Any ideas ?

4. mosamahab

mosamahab Gardener

Ratings:
    +53
    cut 4. Quite patchy and many weeds. Will it grow and spread ? It was lush and thick before winter.

20160419_151142.jpg 20160419_153614.jpg

Bought some weedol lawn weed killer and some fertiliser.

Will it kill this rubbish ? It is everywhere.

20160419_103913.jpg 20160419_103940.jpg 20160419_103946.jpg 20160419_103957.jpg 20160419_104105.jpg 20160419_104115.jpg

5. Liz the pot

Ratings:
    +1,259
    Lawn herbicides are aimed at plants that use grass land as habitats, there are plants that require different chemicals or are resilient to herbicides. What a company does is use a mixture of chemicals within a herbicide to take on a number of plants.
    Lawn based herbicides will not kill off the unwanted grass types if that's what you are asking.
    Will it fill in, it should but different grasses have different growth methods to put it in a simple way.
    If you have seeded with a fine lawn mixture and have for example problem grasses appearing you can only remove them by hand. There are chemicals in trials that attack a set type of grass but from my understanding they are not effective due to not being fully optimised for a single grass type. Funny enough I think I was looking into this and that was more aimed in the US market but will be interesting to see if that expands.

6. mosamahab

mosamahab Gardener

Ratings:
    +53
    I think the garden will be a work in progress for the foreseeable future with the amount of rubbish that inhabits it. I will use weedol lawn weed killer first to kill of existing stuff.

How long should I wait after the application of the weed killer to reseed the bare spots ? it does not say anything about post treatment seeding on the label.

I get what you mean by different growth methods like bunch grasses and creeping grasses. I used a blend of different grasses. ryegrass, different fescues, bluegrasses, bentgrass. Basically a shade mixture. So I am hoping at least the fescue will spread as rye is bunch growth.

By will it fill in I mean look at the following picture what it looked like last October, compared to what it looks like right now which is patchy and sparse in places.

20151014_165419.jpg

• Like Like x 1
      Last edited: Apr 20, 2016
    • Liz the pot

Ratings:
      +1,259
      I think it will if you are going to feed the grass and even if it was not fed it will fill in because we are still at the start of the season.
      ive no idea what type of treatment you gave the grass in the Autumn but I always like to treat a lawn in the spring with an Autumn feed that contains iron.
      I don't know Verdone that well and rather than guess, let me have a peep and see what's what but I don't think it will have any type of residue action that would concern but let me check first.

• Liz the pot

Ratings:
      +1,259
      I can't see any info regarding info about a residue factor so I would treat it this way. I would seed after 14 days of application but normally you would ensure the weeds are dead or cleared in the area and Verdone takes around 4 weeks if I remember correctly.

• Informative Informative x 1
      • mosamahab

mosamahab Gardener

Ratings:
        +53
        Thanks for the info.

I did not treat the lawn with anything other than in the beginning of seeding which was only a general purpose fertiliser npk 7-7-7.

Well, I applied verdone at the rate of 15ml/1l per 10m in a sprayer as I don't have a watering can. It was spitting on an off whilst I was applying it. However now the weather has taken a turn and it is reaching 0 degrees at night and constant rain/snow/hale. I am wonder about it's effectiveness. Verdone does not say anything about dry or wet weather application on the box.

So, how does the absorption work. Via roots or leaves. Watering can method would indicate it is absorbed via roots. I know granular fertilisers need watering in but things like glyphosate need dry weather to absorb via leaves. I am not sure about verdone. I might need another application ?

• Liz the pot

Ratings:
        +1,259
        It's through the leaf, it's also domestic so it's not going to have performance of a professional product but it's ok for its use.
        You need the weed to be growing in fact some plants when in flower is the optimum time to spray but you really just need the plant to be growing well before application.
        Drop in temps and weeds not growing just lowers its performance.

• mosamahab

mosamahab Gardener

Ratings:
        +53
        Grass is doing well.

[​IMG]

However front yard is full of yorkshire fog. How the hell do you kill that.

[​IMG]

• Liz the pot

Ratings:
        +1,259
        Yorkshire fog hates being slashed either by half moon, spade or scarifying. This weakens the plant but is a long process of elimination.
        You can also remove each bit by hand or use roundup to kill off the weed grass and reseed. Using a hood keeps the area sprayed down to min or if no hood then I've known plastic plant pots to be used.

• Informative Informative x 1
        • mosamahab

mosamahab Gardener

Ratings:
          +53
          Glyphosate would mean killing about 50% of grass with it.

Gonna have to try other methods.