1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

replacing a hedge gradually

Discussion in 'Trees' started by claire mcewam, Apr 30, 2015.

1. claire mcewam

claire mcewam Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    I have a 6 foot hedge all around my corner plot house and would like to replace it with something nicer and a little more nature friendly, probably a mixed hedgerow.
    I'm not sure the type of hedge but its the classic Glasgow council house hedge, evergreen with small leaves and needs cut way to much. Its very established - 50 years or more!

I thought about cutting one tree away at a time and putting in a replacement, but I'd still be left with the roots and I think the new plant would struggle.

Any ideas?

• Informative Informative x 1
    • Spruce

Spruce Glad to be back .....

Ratings:
      +12,322
      Hi Welcome to the Forum

So you have privet , it does create nesting sites also if its been growing 50 years , you would need to dig out the roots and also re-dig out the existing soil and put new compost/manure/ fertiliser to re-new the soil as I imagine it wont have much to offer for planting a new hedge.

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Sheal

Sheal Total Gardener

Ratings:
        +52,612
        Welcome to GC Claire. A mixed hedgerow is nature friendly but a nightmare to look after because the individual plants grow at different rates. It would have to be trimmed several times a year to keep it tidy and that will disturb birds nesting/breeding season which wouldn't be nature friendly.

• Agree Agree x 1
        • hans

hans Gardener

Retired
          Ratings:
          +745
          So glad you are thinking hedge not panels. I have hedges and a very tiny fence a left over from the grandchildren may fall in the pond era. We have Privet very easy to grow and the birds love it.