1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Replacing Greenhouse glass with 4mm twinwall polycarbonate.

Discussion in 'Greenhouse Growing' started by IceColdRum, Feb 25, 2015.

1. IceColdRum

IceColdRum Cacti & Herb Mad

Customer Service Advisor
    Ratings:
    +837
    I'm going to be replacing the 3mm horticultural glass on my greenhouse (a Halls Popular 8x6ft jobby from Tesco) with 4mm twinwall Polycarbonate as Mum and I have both nearly fallen into it two or three times over the last couple of years and it's now situated in a narrow garden next to the path!
    I'm a bit unsure of how to install it and what I need... I have read that you should seal the cut ends with breathable tape and foil tape opposite each other to prevent algal growth and bugs getting in and breathable tape down presumably to stop water getting in also? and that glazing tape should be applied to the glazing channels?
    However my greenhouse design appears to be incompatible with glazing tape according to this amazon listing http://www.amazon.co.uk/Greenhouse-Glazing-Seal-rolls-stable/dp/B0094HPT0Q 3rd image down on the left

so how does everyone else do it? anything I should be weary of? I've emailed Eden Halls the manufacturer but I'm not sure if they will reply...

I think the best price I have found so far is a German seller at a cost of £45 for 14 sheets of 4x2ft which I'd need two of.

Cheers,

2. Sheal

Sheal Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +52,617
    I've not used polycarb ICR but I know other members have used a sealant for them.

3. Dips

Dips Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +3,631
    Ha i didnt even know you had to do that

I havent sealed any of mine just stuck them thats it. Im now thinking maybe i should. To be honest some of my panels dont fit too well but i did it myself and without a ladder. They have been in a year and have been fine

4. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +86,077
    Not quite sure what they are saying, says not suitable for "U" section type shown in last photo?
    Where is the last photo?

I've got a halls one on the allotment, I think it uses a tubular section rubber, which pushes into a channel in the alli section.

Not well up on the thin poly I'm afraid, but you would need to seal the ends, one way or another.

5. IceColdRum

IceColdRum Cacti & Herb Mad

Customer Service Advisor
    Ratings:
    +837
    This is the one Pete :)

Attached Files:

6. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +86,077
    Ok, right.
    Not come across that one.
    I can see that glazing tape could well not be suitable for that.
    Do you not have the rubber?

I'm tending to think the greenhouse manufacturer might be your only option.

• Like Like x 1
    • Ian Taylor

Ian Taylor Total Gardener

Maintenance Manager, Oddfellows on the Park.
      Ratings:
      +2,751
      This might sound daft, have you tried Ebay ?
      You could have a look on Two Wests and Elliot website they sell all gardening stuff