1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

'rescued' tomatoes

Discussion in 'Edible Gardening' started by Axie-Ali, May 1, 2010.

1. Axie-Ali

Axie-Ali Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    I bought some very sad looking tomato plants from B&Q 2 weeks ago, they had been reduced to 20p each and looked half dead.
    Anyway, two weeks of tender loving care in my greenhouse and they are growing like mad and look incredibly healthy....except, the end of the first 2 or so leaves have gone brown and crispy. The rest of the plant and growing tips look really healthy. Could this be a result of their near death experience or are they diseased?
    Any help received with thanks

2. garden_fiend

garden_fiend Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    I don't think it's anything to worry about. It sounds like the leaves have got wet and then burnt around the edges due to the heat in the greenhouse. The heat created by the sun on the glass is quite intense on a warm day.

GF.

3. Axie-Ali

Axie-Ali Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
  4. Marley Farley

Marley Farley Affable Admin! Staff Member

Grandmother Gardener Councillor Homemaker
    Ratings:
    +14,125
    :thumb: Go for it Axi.. As GF says could be the sun etc or it could be the fact that B&Q didn't water regularly as you will get brown tips to the leaves if they go from wet to bone dry then wet again.... I am sure your TLC will get them through & I would remove those leaves when I had new top growth if it was me.. Good luck & may you have many yummie tomatoes..!!! :yho:

5. Axie-Ali

Axie-Ali Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    thanks Marley :), if all goes well it'll be the cheapest toms crop i've ever had :cool:

6. Larkshall

Larkshall Gardener

Ratings:
    +14
    Try this for cheap tomato plants. For each eight plants required, buy (or grow) one plant. Take off the side shoots and plant in pots as "cuttings", dipping in Hormone Rooting Powder. You can take seven or eight side shoots off each plant (this is a good way to get expensive varieties cheaply).

I wonder if this could be done for following seasons by keeping the plant alive over Winter, like you would for Geraniums.

7. Axie-Ali

Axie-Ali Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    I didn't know you could propagate toms in that way! do they then fruit that year too?

8. Larkshall

Larkshall Gardener

Ratings:
    +14
    As cuttings are the same age as the parent, they will catch up with the parent by mid season. First fruiting will be slightly later than the parent but they soon catch up. The delay can be explained by the cuttings having to make a root structure.

9. Steve R

Steve R Soil Furtler

Carer
    Ratings:
    +3,699
    I agree with Larkshall, great way for extra plants, the real bonus though is if you got your toms going earlier, it means you''ll extend the cropping season with the second lot. Rooting side shoots last year had about a 50% success rate for me.

Also last year, I was given some Alicante toms by a member here at GC, they got blight as I grew them outdoors...but I had rooted some of the sideshoots from those plants (in the greenhouse) before bllight struck. Two weeks after destroying the blight stricken parent plants..I put the rooted sideshoots out in the garden and get a modest crop from them. So its worthwhile rooting the sideshoots even if you'll never use them, you just might.

Steve...:)

10. Blueroses

Blueroses Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    I didnt know you could do that either, and although I hopefully should have enough 'Tommy - Tartoes' in the greenhouse, Im going to try it just for the experience ( and insurance :hehe: )

11. Axie-Ali

Axie-Ali Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Brilliant thanks, Larkshall and Steve.
    I'm definately going to give it a go, even if, as Blueroses says, its just for the experiment!
    As for my original post, my 20p toms hare doing brilliantly and have grown up enough to be spending the days out and nights still in the greenhouse, I'll plant them out permanently in a couple of weeks :)