1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

rhubarb problem.

Discussion in 'Edible Gardening' started by peter121, Nov 1, 2020.

1. peter121

peter121 Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +14
    good morning. has any rhubarb growers got any advice about red leaf.is it a diseased crown. is it a problem for eating. if it is diseased do i dig it up or can it be cured any advice would be much appreciated. thanks for your time regards peter

2. Macraignil

Macraignil Super Gardener

Avoiding getting fired.
    Ratings:
    +774
    My rhubarb has all its leaves after dying back for winter now and they did change colour before collapsing. Its standard practice with growing it outdoors here that harvesting the stalks stops in September to allow the crown and roots build up enough energy for a good start sprouting up again in spring. It never keeps its leaves over winter here. Will be covering mine with a good mulch of manure fairly soon. It usually stays dormant until early March. Are you growing yours indoors? Not too familiar with the method of forcing rhubarb to produce over winter indoors so you might need some advice from someone else if that is what you are asking about.

Happy gardening!

• Agree Agree x 1
    • peter121

peter121 Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
      +14
      hello macraignil. this has never happened before until this year.i inherited the plant with the house about five years now. the red leaf seemed to start about august and i know summer was not a good one.so i did not know if it was a diseased crown it just seems strange.i always take away old stalks in september and refresh with new compost.thanks for reply peter.stay safe.PS growing outdoors.

• Like Like x 1
      • Macraignil

Macraignil Super Gardener

Avoiding getting fired.
        Ratings:
        +774
        August would be early for the leaves to be dying back for winter but if not picked I find the older leaves can change colour and die back anyway. I guess the plant can take the nutrients from the older leaves and use them for new growth. If it is continuing to produce healthy green new leaves then the odd leaf loosing its normal colour is unlikely to be a problem in my opinion. You can take sections off the crown in January and February if you think it might be worth starting some growing in a new spot in case you think there is something wrong with the way yours is currently growing. Posted a video of how I did that with mine here.
        It generally does not like drying out so maybe some extra organic material in the soil might help and make sure the nearby vegetation is not too close and competing with it too much for water. I have never worried about removing older growth and let it die back to improve the soil without it being a problem in my own garden.

• Agree Agree x 1
        • ARMANDII

ARMANDII Low Flying Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
          +100,836
          My Rhubarb is about 35 years, grown from the seed of a flowered plant harvested, with permission, from a garden in the Village of Tissington. The owner told me he'd forgotten the name of the variety but due to the size it grows I've christened it "Tissington Giant"
          [​IMG]
          I've divided it several times and re-sited it over the years and found it does change colour over the months with some leaves dying off even in the Summer depending on the kind of Summer it is, but it has consistently, over the decades, given me really thick, long, tasty stems supplying me and neighbours. I don't think you will need to worry about your plant, peter, it should carry on for years.