1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Rogue Potatos

Discussion in 'Edible Gardening' started by sanuka, Apr 26, 2007.

1. sanuka

sanuka Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I have some potatos sprouting that I must've missed when harvesting last years crop.

What would you do? leave them and see what happens? move them? or get rid of them?

I was planning to use the space for flowers once the fence behind was fixed but it seems a shame now there are plants growing so well.

Many thanks

2. oktarine

oktarine Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    I would leave them, nothing to lose if you dont need the space.

3. Tim D

Tim D Gardener

Ratings:
    +5
    Sorry to hijack this topic, but when should you plant main crop potatoes - am I too late? If not which maincrop would you recomend?

Tim

4. oktarine

oktarine Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    My maincrop are going in sunday morning .

That will be 1 month after my earlies went in.

M/C should take about 20 - 30 days longer to grow, so I should be feasting on them early autumn.

5. sanuka

sanuka Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Oktarine, I guess I was worried about leaving them causing diseases or something.

I've decided to pot them up into pots now because there are just too many of them sprouting in odd positions so I would need to move them anyway. I'd also forgotten about needing to earth them up and the position isn't good for that really.

I love reading your blog btw - very inspiring. So i'm planning on trying a few more things to see how it goes...

6. oktarine

oktarine Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    Thanks Sanuka

Nice name by the way!