1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Roof Cleaning?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by capney, Oct 1, 2010.

1. capney

capney Head Gardener

Retired and glad of it.
    Ratings:
    +1,320
    Seems to be the latest fad around these parts..
    I`m asking myself..
    "What are the benefits?"
    Seems an awful messy job with mucky spray going everywhere.
    Neigbours will not be to pleased.
    H&S... Lack of rooflladders and safety kit?
    [​IMG]

2. Doghouse Riley

Doghouse Riley Head Gardener

"Pleasantly unemployed."
    Ratings:
    +4,411
    Never been impressed by this.

Our house is one of about seventy almost identical houses, built in the early sixties, thankfully before the days of stud partition walls. They all have thick rough finished terracotta coloured concrete tiles. I've been on our roof enough times, re-cementing the ridge tiles about twenty years ago and I must have changed about three TV aerials and eight years ago, removing the old corrugated flue from a chimney and fitting a new cowl (the fire supplier wanted scaffolding because of the "regulations" and "an arm and a leg to do it"). This was when we had the back boiler changed to a combi and an "art deco" gas fire fitted in the lounge (which has never been on!)
    Treading carefully, the tiles are strong enough to take my weight. There's been no degradation in the tiles whatsoever.

Yet two neighbours were talked into a complete new roof and two others have had the tiles jet washed. As you say what a mess!
    Because of their rough finish, the tiles do attract moss, particularly on the north side. But it's just a bit unsightly, but who cares? After every heavy downpour, we had one earlier this week, I just check the drains as a lot of this moss washes down and can sit on top of the grid of the drain.
    I also get the big ladders up and check the gutters each year, but there's rarely any need for me to clean them.

It amazes me how people get talked into unnecessary work.
    Not a month goes by without someone ringing the bell talking about doing the ridge tiles or replacing the soffits.
    Ours are the original wooden soffits, I give 'em a coat of paint every five years or so and they are still perfectly sound. The roof tiles will "see us out!"

3. capney

capney Head Gardener

Retired and glad of it.
    Ratings:
    +1,320
    Spot on reasponse DR.. my feelings on the subject exactly....

4. Alice

Alice Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +81
    They seem to go in for washing roofs around here too Capney.
    I think they just get talked into it.

5. Doghouse Riley

"Pleasantly unemployed."
    Ratings:
    +4,411
    Slate rooves are very efficient in dispersing rain. They aren't designed to be blasted by a jet wash, particularly in the "wrong direction." The membrane below the tiles on older houses can become brittle with age, not a problem if it isn't disturbed. A jetwash is powerful enough to lift a tile if pointed in the wrong direction and I suspect could damage the membrane.

"if it ain't broke, don't fix it."

6. JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
    +46,169
    I can't see the point either, but once one house has it done it triggers off the rest of the neighbours in the street. My 90 old Dad did his last year, there was no stopping him going up a ladder on his own, just because his neighbour had their roof power cleaned. There was absolutely no need to do it, the moss and lichens do no harm, but to his eyes it looked bad when the neighbour's roof looked spotless.

7. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +86,035
    Yep seen it done around here as well, infact one house further up the road has just had all the tiles, felt and battens replaced.
    Not sure it was necessary but it must have cost a few quid.

8. Doghouse Riley

"Pleasantly unemployed."
    Ratings:
    +4,411
    What worries me, is the "replacements" slates, battens, etc., often seem of poorer quality than the orginal.

Everything these days seems "down to a price."

Digressing
    The people next door are having the bathroom and toilet knocked into one, adding a shower, new suite, re-tile etc., I can see from our kitchen side window, they've had three "goes" at knocking out the right bricks in the wall for the services to exit.
    I wouldn't pay them in washers.

9. Mr zen

Mr zen Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Those who don't know I run a cleaning business primarily window cleaning but also cover other aspects of high level cleaning including roof cleaning. I don't use our pressure washers on roofs for the reasons stated above.

The problem is Marley tiles do have a tendency to provide a great anchoring point for moss. This then as it drys in the summer sun or is picked at by nesting birds falls off in to gardens and gutters.

Gutter then get blocked causing water to fall down the sides of buildings which is the single biggest cause of rising damp.

The reason there are so many people getting it done is they are scared senseless of huge repaire bills and would rather pay not so, but still quite hefty cleaning bills.

10. JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
    +46,169
    Well there is definately a call for your services Mr Zen. We get moss on the North side of our roof, and it gathers in the gullies and gutters and I get grass growing up there which is not a good thing. I go up on the ladder and brush it out every other year or when I notice the gutter overflowing. I can understand that, but surely no need to get a roof power washed so it looks like new.

11. Doghouse Riley

"Pleasantly unemployed."
    Ratings:
    +4,411
    If you're worried about the moss, I'd suggest you get up there on a calm day and spray it all with a mild solution of bleach in a garden pressure spray. It kills the stuff on a patio, so there's no reason it shouldn't do it on a roof.

12. shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
    Ratings:
    +118,497
    We have the Marley concrete tiles as well and, of course, get the problem with the moss. I put close mesh stiff wire across the gutters and it keeps the moss and the leaves out. It is then very easy to remove whatever has gathered on it by just running my gloved hand along the wire and scooping it into a bucket :gnthb:. It is much easier to do this fairly frequently as I live in a bungalow.

We do get more of the moss dropping onto the patio as it bounces off the wire instead of lodging in the gutter.

An estate agent once told me that if we wanted to sell the place we should replace the Marley tiles with modern ones. He reckoned we would get an extra £20,000- £30,000 if we did that. We are now in a posher area than it was when we moved in (nothing to do with us :hehe:) and he said it adds 'kerb appeal' :scratch:.

13. Doghouse Riley

"Pleasantly unemployed."
    Ratings:
    +4,411
    Hmmm.

It would appear that you have benefited from "gentrification," certainly most welcome.

I'm surprised at such a figure quoted as it would be many times the price of a new roof. But then some estate agents do talk a load of bo*****s, it's included in their training with some companies and gives the trade a bad name.

I say this on authority, as youngest son is an area manager for a chain of estate agents for whom manages ten branches and they have a good reputation.
    As they say.... "the tales I've heard."

When he was single he never mentioned his job, as it was always an immediate conversation stopper.

14. shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
    Ratings:
    +118,497
    Wow! Doghouse, you don't sound at all embarrassed to admit he is your son. :hehe: :lollol:

Actually, some of my best friends are estate agents. :hehe:

15. Chopper

Chopper Do I really look like a people person?

Seal Clubber
    Ratings:
    +112
    Power washing a roof is just a big con. You only need to get the jet going the wrong way once and you have a powerful jet hitting the inside of your roof. If the roof is not leaking, leave it alone.

I clean the gutters every year and while I am doing it I check if there is any sign of any deterioration in the roof. I replaced all the gutters and soffits earlier this year. They were getting shabby and were the original ones from when the house was built in the mid seventies. Cost me about £230.00. Took me two days.

Estate agents are the Kwik-Fit of the housing market. Just the same as employment agencies. They have no product to buy or stock. They rely on people not thinking for themselves and getting on with the job themselves. When they "Sell" a house they just hold thier hand out for a big fat cheque. No skill required, just an off the peg suit, Brylcream and a smarmy aloof character. They all need a good kick in the nuts. I reckon most of them are really wanting to be politicians.

Chopper