1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Roof Cleaning?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by capney, Oct 1, 2010.

1. Doghouse Riley

Doghouse Riley Head Gardener

"Pleasantly unemployed."
    Ratings:
    +4,411
    He has some very amusing stories.

Many years ago when he was just the manager of a branch for a different company in south Manchester, not far from United's ground, he got a phone call from an "investor" in London, looking for farm properties.
    He told him he'd need to look further south, as there'd be nothing locally.

"Well, what about in St. Retford?"

Doh!

2. shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
    Ratings:
    +118,495
    I suppose that could be considered an 'In' joke. 'In' Manchester :hehe:

3. Doghouse Riley

Doghouse Riley Head Gardener

"Pleasantly unemployed."
    Ratings:
    +4,411
    The guy had probably been looking at a map. Stretford is on the northern edge of the Mersey Valley and maybe to him looked quite "green." This strip of land accommodates a few farms to the West, eight golf courses, many playing fields and a large waterpark. But to both the north and south of the valley it's quite densely populated.

4. JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
    +46,166
    Another Estate Agent tale.

When our neighbours moved in a couple of years ago, they were out the front for ages trying to get in, with the Removals van waiting to unload. They came round ours in desperation as they couldn't open their new door, of course we couldn't help either because the Estate Agents had given them the wrong keys! Even though the Estate Agents had made a mistake they refused to send someone out with the right keys, our new neighbour had to dash off to swap them. The Estate Agents excuse? The girl in charge of the keys was dyslexic! So apperently that lets them off the hook.

5. fastgrower

fastgrower Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +5

roof cleaning definitely isn't a fed, plenty of insurers these days look to make sure you are properly maintaining your property so will need invoices from professional companies incase you ever need to make a claim. it looks like the guys in the photo are pressure washing, you should never clean a roof like this because it can cause serious water damage if there is any preexisting damage to the roof. typically you will see most people scrape the moss off using a roof scraper Telescopic Roof Moss Scraper - Moss Removal Tool - Roof Scraper LTD and then apply a chemical solution to prevent it from growing back.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2022
  6. NigelJ

NigelJ Total Gardener

Mad Scientist
    Ratings:
    +21,335
    I had my roof cleaned and treated the other year and a couple of neighbours have had theirs done since. The tiles presented a good surface for the growth of moss and then the birds throw the moss around looking for insects.

7. shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
    Ratings:
    +118,495
    With apologies :noidea:, but that doesn't seem to make sense to me. :scratch:

I can't produce any invoices from professional companies for any maintenance because no maintenance is required on our house. We have been here 50 years, used many different insurers, and never been asked for for proof of any non-existent necessary maintenance. What is it that they would want proof of?

• Agree Agree x 1
    • pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
      Ratings:
      +86,020
      They usually just say they don't insure problems where general maintenance is concerned.

• JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
      +46,166
      It's not cleaning that's needed, it's a visual inspection that all is well with the physical integrity. Checking the ridge tile security and mortar joints on the hips for example. Moss and lichen are good for the environment so leave be. Moss is not so good if it falls down and blocks gutters admittedly, we have down pipe guards for that purpose.

• ricky101

ricky101 Total Gardener

Ratings:
      +4,204
      Whats not fully appreciated is that the older the roof the brittler the concrete tiles become, particularly when heavy blokes just walk up on it rather than spreading the load with roof ladders.

As a neighbour said when he walked up his roof, he could hear the tiles crunching below his feet, though he was doing so prior to re-tiling the roof.

• Clueless 1 v2

Clueless 1 v2 Total Gardener

Ratings:
      +2,553
      I'm a firm believer in the old saying, if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

I do a quick visual of my roof from time to time, usually if there's been gale force wind, or if I notice anything unusual, and will get the roofer out if I think there's any need. But ordinarily, I leave it well alone. It does its job, and I don't really want people walking about on it, potentially cracking or dislodging tiles, unless they're up there for good reason.