Root pruning roses for containers (and which compost to use)

Discussion in 'Roses' started by merleworld, Jul 8, 2012.

1. merleworld

merleworld Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +4,087
    I've bought some David Austin roses, some of which I plan to keep in planters.

I've found this article by Robert Mattock which says to root prune roses by cutting back the tap root.

It also says to use a special compost.

1) When is the best time to root prune roses? Can it be done any time for containerised roses, or should I wait until they are dormant? :help:

2) Also, which compost should I use? Would a John Innes No 3 based compost do or something different? :scratch:

Thanks in advance :)

Alex

2. *dim*

*dim* Head Gardener

Ratings:
    +1,593
    I've planted several bare root roses in the ground in April ... it was a bit late to plant them, as bare root are normally planted in autumn

I used Plagron Batmix compost , some rootgrow and a few handfuls of vermicompost (worm humus) together with a handful of volcanic rock dust as a top dressing ...

a bit overboard for some, but IMHO, well worth the effort

this is the compost:
    http://www.norfolklights.com/bat-mix-50-litre-sack-plagron-p-1654.html

it has worm humus, but I added extra
    http://www.1-hydroponics.co.uk/grow-media/plagron-worm-castings.html

as for root pruning, I have never tried doing that with roses, but have a look at airpots .... I use them for loads of plants that I nurse before planting them out in gardens and they work extremely well .... they are cheap, and there are some very large ones available (a 30 litre airpot costs just over £8):
    http://www.camgrow.co.uk/air-pots-30-l/

http://www.airpotgarden.com/

all the above can be bought from hydroponic stores, or on the internet ... volcanic rock dust can be bought from B&Q (£5.98 for a 10kg bag)

I have previously used John Innes #3 with roses, and added approx 20% well rotted organic farmyard manure (those that are sold at garden centres in bags) mixed with some topsoil from the planting hole ...

bear in mind though, that after 6 weeks, you will need to fertilize as the compost has only enough nutrient for 6 weeks

3. wiseowl

wiseowl FRIENDLY ADMIN Staff Member

Philosophy of people
    Ratings:
    +90,114
    Hi Merleworld Its OK root pruning when cultivating a rose,but its not a practice that I would readily follow,especially the Tap root,only my personal opinion of course:)

• Like Like x 1
    • kevinm

kevinm Gardener

Ratings:
      +387
      I have roughly followed Robert Mattock's methods regarding container roses for a number of years and I have not been disappointed.
      I have found that a Spring application of 50ml per container of Westlands Slow Release fertilizer (now called "Nutri") keeps them going for most of the season. Spray regularly - early morning or late evening - especially in damp weather- with Roseclear.
      I have several roses which had previously been growing in the ground for ten years which had to be moved and have transferred quite happily into 30 litre containers.

Another article regarding Robert Mattock's methods with container roses
      http://www.telegraph.co.uk/gardening/3323505/The-root-to-pots-of-success.html

• Like Like x 1
      • wiseowl

Philosophy of people
        Ratings:
        +90,114
        Good morning Kevinm I am not saying that Roberts way does,ent work,I have experimented over the years with his method and without his method and the end results are the same,every rose grower has his or her own methods and what works for them,we all find our ways for the best results,have a nice day my friend:)

• Like Like x 1
        • merleworld

Ratings:
          +4,087
          Thank you for your advice peeps :blue thumb:

• merleworld

Ratings:
          +4,087
          Another question - if I plant them in containers now, do I give the roots a trim or do I wait until Autumn and then do it while they are dormant? :help:

• wiseowl

Philosophy of people
          Ratings:
          +90,114
          Good morning Merleworld I cannot give you much advice as I have,nt ever root pruned any roses:cool:IMHO I would leave well alone,I,m not sure that I understand my friend,do you mean planting them now and then lifting them again in the Autumn to get at the roots,perhaps I am having a senior moment my friend :WINK1: What do you mean by planter,s and are they already in pots ?:)My apologies my friend for all the questions but I just want to give you the best advice possible:)

• merleworld

Ratings:
          +4,087
          Hi owl and apologies for the confusion.

They are currently in their plastic pots as I've only just bought them, so I want to plant them in containers and want to know whether to trim the roots now or else wait until Autumn, then lift them and root prune.

Thanks in advance :)

• wiseowl

Philosophy of people
          Ratings:
          +90,114
          Hi Merleworld my advice is ,I certainly would,nt root prune them later once they are planted as that would mean disturbing them,which in my personal view would,nt do them any good at all:) and if they have compost round them now I would,nt disturb that either,I could possibly understand root pruning if they were bare root roses before you planted them:)Sorry I don,t seem to be very helpful with your question,but I really have,nt come across root pruning roses,only a very rare occasion if they were pot bound my friend,:)

• merleworld

Ratings:
          +4,087
          Okay thanks Owl for your help :ThankYou:

I'll put them in containers as they are and when I come to pot them on in a couple of years, will have another think about it then.