1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Rose bud destroying monster?

Discussion in 'Roses' started by WolfieKate, Aug 9, 2011.

1. WolfieKate

WolfieKate Gardener

Marketing, then Mum, then tbc!
    Ratings:
    +150
    I think its a caterpillar. :cry3: I am gutted.

My patio rose was coming round for a third flowering when suddenly over half the buds went sideways and some sort of tiny (1.5 cm) browny green caterpillar is building silky nests and eating through the bud stems so they buds are falling off. I sprayed it with provado 2 weeks ago but it hasn't stopped them and most of my buds are gone or eaten!:gaagh:

Here's one which managed a few petals but it's been eaten...

[​IMG]

Any ideas what they are! Can I spray earlier next year? Thanks! A very annoyed Kate!

2. WolfieKate

WolfieKate Gardener

Marketing, then Mum, then tbc!
    Ratings:
    +150
    Bumpety bump. I went out yesterday morning and another bud had gone sideways and been eaten and "silked" I have sprayed again with provado... :help:

3. ClaraLou

ClaraLou Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +2,729
    Hi Wolfie Kate

It's moth caterpillar damage, I think. It happens to lots of my plants, not just the roses. I don't think there's anything much you can do to prevent it. You can either spray when the problem appears or put up with losing some of your flowers :( I spray things I can't bear to lose and leave the caterpillars alone on other things.

• Like Like x 1