1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Rose bush leaf probalems

Discussion in 'Roses' started by lowrider69, Aug 16, 2018.

1. Mike Allen

Mike Allen Total Gardener

Retired. Plant Pathologist.
    Ratings:
    +6,097
    A very comprehensive list of chemical treatments against Rose Black Spot, by my learned friend Wiseowl. Thank you.

It's fair to say that, perhaps the dominant piece of advice each time, is to get rid of the affected leaves. Yes this can be soul destroying, when perhaps you end up stripping all the leaves off. Even if left, the affected leaves will prematurely drop. However way, the leaves should be burned. Certainly not composted and IMHO not buried under a mulch.

The Conidia produced in the blackened spots, will continue to survive and be active. This Conidia often penetrates the newly forming and dormant buds thus weakening them and if the plant becomes victim to prolonged attacks, then it's days might be numbered.

Most gardeners decide to spray, using a fungicide, when the spots appear. My suggestion is, and with respects. Spray before the leaves appear. Fungicidal sprays that also contain insectacides I support in this instance, as emerging insects eg; aphids etc will rapidly spread the bacteria. A pointer regarding this early spraying. Queen Mary's Rose garden in Regents Park London, has one of the largest collection of roses. Very seldom will you see Black Spot. Another interesting point is. Black Spot only is attracted to certain roses.

• Friendly Friendly x 2
    • lowrider69

lowrider69 Gardener

Disabled
      Ratings:
      +174

well I took nearly all the leaves off Mike and also have climbing roses next to these ones which have the odd leaf with a spot on them so I sprayed all off them even the leaf bear roses as they do have some leaf left, I also put a light spray at the base in case I missed a leaf, the spray I used was ebayer for fungus which would be the best one that does both insect and fungus as I been buying separate ones, how often should I spray and would you spray in winter?

my 1st year to gardening and being disabled and not able to travel far I,m really loving my new hobby but that did take it out of me yesterday, I would rather treat them before the problem happens if I,m honest as to much work in one go can bring flare ups of my fibromyalgia

thank you for all the advice I'm finding it all very informative & useful

• Like Like x 1
      • Friendly Friendly x 1
      • Gail_68

Gail_68 Guest

Ratings:
        +0
        Hello lowrider, well done mate with what you did but take breaks you know in between having fibro as I know how it can ware you out as I have Lupus besides (MCTD) so I know what your going through ;)...that's mainly why our garden was gravelled in the end to cut the work out so I could just attend the plants like yourself :)

• Like Like x 1
        • lowrider69

lowrider69 Gardener

Disabled
          Ratings:
          +174
          oh god yea the more lawn I can get rid of the better it kills my shoulders, I need some paving slabs but cant really afford it yet as spent so much on my gardens and inside the cash flow front is a little low, fibro fog deep joy hard work at times also funny like now I just got up and put a spoon of coffee in with my tea and sat trying to figure out what's wrong with my cuppa lol

• Like Like x 1
          • Mike Allen

Ratings:
            +6,097
            Try a homeopathic remedy. Rhus-Tox 30c. Arnica and Bryonia are also good but IMO Rhus-Tox is the best.

• Like Like x 1
            • Gail_68

Gail_68 Guest

Ratings:
              +0
              Ado mate...ours was slabbed and done when we moved in to the property but we did have a lawn on the back but my dog ruined it, so we had larger gravel for that and gravelled the front but the backs a mixture of slabs and gravel boarders.

Don't mention foggy head to me ;) I have my moments of asking hubby at least 4 times what drink he wanted :roflol:...it's sick when you really think about it :whistle:

@Mike Allen as given you sound advice regarding the homeopathic remedy...now anything like that for lupus...well oh dear dear bad flare up or what :cry3:

• Like Like x 1
              • Mike Allen

Ratings:
                +6,097
                Gail. Homeopathy can be used successfully against Lupus. Lupus is a condition that affects the autoimmune system, the latter is very complicated. For it to be treated as best possible, an individual's immune/autoimmune system has to be very carefully studied so asto discover which remedy/treatment is best for that perhaps one special area. Sadly often conventional medication is prescribed that actually has mild effects, like giving say two paracetamol or a couple of neurophen that simply dull certain sensory areas.

Check with your GP and ask for an appointment to see a consultant homeopath. Hope this helps.

• Useful Useful x 2
                • Mike Allen

Ratings:
                  +6,097
                  May I respectfully say. Although I always do my best to help/advise friends. I value everything this forum offers. Specialized subjects such as this, (medical) I do not wish to persue on the open forum. I will be pleased to answer questions and perhaps offer help, via private conversations.

• Agree Agree x 2
                  • Like Like x 1
                  • lowrider69

lowrider69 Gardener

Disabled
                    Ratings:
                    +174
                    well said mike :)

anyways which sprays do people thinks is the best all in one as in fungus and insect spray as I been buying to different sprays until now

• Like Like x 1