1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Rose Suckers Advice

Discussion in 'Roses' started by Gilly31, Jun 15, 2021.

1. Gilly31

Gilly31 Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +10
    Hi All
    When my best friend of over 50 years died 8 years ago another friend bought me this Mary 20210615_105614.jpg 20210615_113258.jpg 20210615_105624.jpg 20210615_113305.jpg Rose in her memory. Over the years I have had some beautiful pink roses. Earlier this year for the first time I cut it right back. In the last 2 months it has sprouted many shoots and is rapidly growing. However, my concern is that they are suckers. If so can I save the Rose as they are growing from the main stem and not root ball. All the shoots/stems are like bendy rubber, is this right? The attached pics show my Mary Rose as it is now. I really would appreciate any advice.
    Thanks in advance
    Gilly

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • Spruce

Spruce Glad to be back .....

Ratings:
      +12,322
      Hi

Thats not a sucker , just a new shoot growing with vigour if you dont want it cut flush to the main stem as from your photo they have been cut before this is a shrub rose so its typical growth ... so nothing to be concerned with if its a sucker the foliage is a different shape and easy to spot ...

Size: Medium Shrub 4ft (125cm) 3ft (90cm)

• Like Like x 2
      • Friendly Friendly x 1
      • wiseowl

wiseowl FRIENDLY ADMIN Staff Member

Philosophy of people
        Ratings:
        +89,902
        Hi @Gilly31 I could say that's not and I could say it is ,Its difficult to see from a photo and I don't want to mislead you my friend but I will give you a full explanation if you find any sucker's it is much better to twist and pull them off (not cut them) if you just cut them they will grow back again:smile:

Rose suckers are shoots that grow directly from the rootstock of a rose bush.They’re usually caused by frost damage or by nicking the plant with a spade or other gardening tool.
        You can easily identify them as they’re long and slender, they have thorns and leaves which are different from those of the main rose bush. They often appear to grow from the soil, sometimes several feet away from the bush. Make no mistake though, they will be attached below the surface.

1. Off Root Suckers – These grow from the actual roots
        2. Above Ground Suckers – Grow below the budding union but you can see where they stem from
        3. Below Ground Suckers – Exactly the same as above ground suckers but you’ll have to remove the soil to see where they stem from
        Rose s.JPG

@Gilly31 your Rose looks OK and is an English Shrub Rose although the bud union looks to be above the soil I personally plant my Roses with the bud union 1" inch below the surface.
        Just remove what you see as a sucker carefully if you need anymore advice or are at all unsure just ask,hope this helps:smile:

• Like Like x 2
        • Useful Useful x 1
        • Black Dog

Black Dog Gardener of useful things

It's a secret
          Ratings:
          +1,136
          When we moved in ther were a few old thorny rosebushes that wouldn't flower or grow anymore. Looked like they had their best time behind them, so I decided it was time for change and cut them all relentlessly. Even tried to remove the roots but gave up as they grew beneath the foundation of our gazebo.
          90% started to grow back even more beautiful than ever. And with a dazzling speed. So I decided to let them live.

Morale of the story (if there is any): sucker growth doesn't need to be a bad thing unless your rose is grafted. A lot of times those suckers grow faster and more vital than the rest of the plant

• Gilly31

Gilly31 Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
          +10
          Morning All
          Thank you so much for your replies.
          I will leave it for a couple of weeks and see how it grows, as all the stems look the same to me. Sadly there is no sign of any buds developing.
          Have a good weekend and thanks again. I'll let you know how it goes

• Friendly Friendly x 1
          • wiseowl

wiseowl FRIENDLY ADMIN Staff Member

Philosophy of people
            Ratings:
            +89,902
            Good morning @Gilly31 patience my friend and your Roses will reward you;):smile:

• Friendly Friendly x 1