1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

ROSES. Love them or Dislike them!

Discussion in 'Roses' started by Mike Allen, Jul 29, 2019.

1. Mike Allen

Mike Allen Total Gardener

Retired. Plant Pathologist.
    Ratings:
    +6,097
    Ah! yes. Roses. Loved by many and perhaps not so popular with others. According to the history books. Roses have been around for a very long time, perhaps even to the dawn of creation, sorry I wasn't there that day. When we look at the history of the rose we find it crops up often in, yes, history. Even here in England, we had the, 'War of the Roses' So the humble rose has become a symbolic and heraldic symbol. In the world of prose and verse, the rose is so often likened to the attributes of a beautiful woman. What has the rose got to offer? Yes many rose plants have thorns. Many roses have such fragrance. If I may. When I lost my beloved wife Valerie,I set about making my tiny garden into a garden of rememberance. I chose named roses that to me, the flower, the bloom said so much to me. The delicate colour, just like Val, delicate, not over made up. Then other indicators,texture etc. OK the names may have played a part, but how can I explain. Mum in a million. Easy going. Peace maker. My Valentine and so on.

Fair do's. The rose is not the best looker in the garden in winter or spring. Ouch! those damned thorns, and then suddenly those dried up thorny sticks come to life, and soon what was a stump now has fresh new branches and decorative foliage and out of the blue. Flower buds appear. Then the Beauty of the rose breaks forth. Visitors, onlookers all exclaim, how wonderful, what great fragrance, if only the rose could bloom for ever.

Please my dear GC friends. Open up and be honest regarding your like's or dislikes about the rose. I wish you all the very best.

• Friendly Friendly x 3
    • Like Like x 1
      Last edited: Jul 30, 2019
    • Verdun

Verdun Passionate gardener

Ratings:
      +17,487
      This is just between you and me, right Mike?:)

Not a single rose here in my garden. The air is clean and, supposedly, this contributes to black spot in roses. I grew Zephirine Drouin either side of an arch a few years ago....lovely scent, lovely to look at for a couple of years but then developed rust resulting in an almost leafless planting from mid summer. Now I have scented honeysuckles in their place.....wonderful scent, semi evergreen to evergreen, easy and reliable. Much better.:)

I have grown different shrub roses and other climbers .....no longer!

Roses are usually thorny, need constant spraying, are downright ugly in winter and, more often than not, grown ubiquitously and badly. Most of them producing the odd flowers on ugly shaped bushes. Hardly tactile, in fact they are downright threatening :sad:

Recently I came across a garden of roses....grown well and quite attractive too but the stiffness and monotony of the scene did not change my opinion about roses.

Shrubs, grasses and perennials are my preferred choice offering greater colour, fragrance, movement and interest I think :)

I have friends who grow fantastic climbing and rambling roses.....however, the maintenance of them is not easy

So, roses not for me.......is this, like religion, a subject too thorny to be other than provocative about? :noidea:

• Like Like x 4
      • Creative Creative x 1
      • Sandy Ground

Sandy Ground Total Gardener

Making things of note.
        Ratings:
        +5,368
        As some of the members on here are aware, I have in my garden a small rosarium that at present consists of around 60 bushes. Therefore, I think it could be said that I like them a lot.

When someone came into my garden a few weeks ago, and almost fainted when she saw them in full bloom for the first time, that was praise indeed.

Being a little bit too blunt, and meaning no disrespect in any way, I think that a person that does not like roses is somewhat mentally incapacitated.

@Mike Allen is that honest enough for you? :heehee:

• Like Like x 3
        • Funny Funny x 2
        • wiseowl

wiseowl FRIENDLY ADMIN Staff Member

Philosophy of people
          Ratings:
          +89,886
          Good morning @Verdun your dislike of all Roses is probably about your time spent in Australia:heehee:,and that they do require looking after,but as you know I just love Roses ,but your vast knowledge of all other plants is a credit to you and invaluable to GC:love30:I am not going to defend the Rose it needs no defence as it regularly is No 1 the most popular flower in the UK;):smile:

• Like Like x 4
          • alana

alana Super Gardener

Head Gardener
            Ratings:
            +2,618
            I love roses (the flowers) but the foliage is dull and uninspiring in the winter. Most of mine are old roses which only flower once (but it's worth it for the beauty and fragrance). They are not worth growing in a small garden. I have room for a few and I underplant with bulbs and low growing perennnials to take the eye away from their bare stems.

• Like Like x 2
            • Agree Agree x 1
            • Verdun

Verdun Passionate gardener

Ratings:
              +17,487
              Morning Woo :)
              I had you in mind when I wrote that (provocative) post so I feel I have escaped your sharpest talons:)
              I feel you will have the vast majority of support here and prob rightly so....the Rose is so universally loved. And when grown well it is a lovely thing:)

• Funny Funny x 1
              • Friendly Friendly x 1
              • Nikolaos

Nikolaos Total Gardener

Ratings:
                +4,289
                Love them or dislike them, can't it be both, Mike? :) I love them for their scent and flower form, (it was the scent of a rose called 'Wendy Cussons' that first sparked my interest in horticulture) but dislike how time-consuming their maintenance is compared to so many other shrubs. I decided last year that I would stick with the 6 I have (Alec's Red, Fragrant Cloud, Special Anniversary, Warm Wishes, an orange HT whose name I don't know and Margaret Merril) and not acquire any more. Currently looking awful due to lack of feeding, mulching etc over the last couple of years but the plan is to simply deadhead and keep disease-free this year while I learn more about other shrubs and herbaceous perennials.

Nick

• Like Like x 4
                  Last edited: Jul 29, 2019
                • ThePlantAssassin

ThePlantAssassin Gardener

NuttyFruitCake
                  Ratings:
                  +1,016
                  Although I have 3 in my small garden one of which is of sentimental value I think I have decided they are not for me after all. I both love them and hate them. They are so gorgeous when in bloom and the smell is divine but Im just not experienced enough to get the best from them and am probably too old to learn now and with limited space its just time to wave the white flag. :wallbanging: Ive decided just yesterday actually that if a plant is giving me less pleasure and more pain then its time get something else. I envy people with the skill to grow them but that's not me. However @Sandy Ground "mentally incapacitated"? bit harsh but I cant deny it...yep thats me. :rasp::lunapic 130165696578242 5:

• Funny Funny x 4
                  • Like Like x 2
                  • Perki

Perki Total Gardener

Ratings:
                    +8,509
                    I don't think roses can be match with regarding sheer beauty and scent maybe by one of my other favourites Wisteria, but they is a price to pay with high maintenance deadheading - feeding regularly - pruning - mulching - blackspot ( I don't bother spraying ) and you can't forget about the thorns but I wouldn't be without them.

I do have a criteria when buying roses they most repeat flower, I have one rose paul scarlet which flowers once bought for a quid years ago, I often think about replacing it with a repeat flowering variety but it puts on a show when it does flower.

I have 7 roses in total most are DA roses - 3 shrub - 2 climbers and two recent purchase 2 rambling roses.

One thing I don't like though are roses beds with just roses in, particular floribundas and hybrid teas, It look very old fashioned and bland. I've often tried to convince people to grow perennials with them to no avail.

• Like Like x 5
                    • wiseowl

Philosophy of people
                      Ratings:
                      +89,886
                      Good morning @Verdun my good friend I know you did,but Roses do grow on you:heehee:and at least you have grown and tried them and not dismissed them out of hand,enjoy your day my friend;):smile:

@cindy my friend honestly Roses are worth the effort and really don't need a lot of skill ,after all they grow quite well in the wild countryside where no one looks after them;) You might be thinking "Roses are not for me,I'm just a beginner and Roses are for experts" However that's not true,Roses are easy to grow and super versatile.
                      If you just think about Roses as a blooming perennial shrub you will be just fine,There is no other perennial that comes in such an array of colours,sizes and uses,and there are so many different scents;)

• Like Like x 3
                      • Agree Agree x 2
                      • Friendly Friendly x 1
                      • Nikolaos

Nikolaos Total Gardener

Ratings:
                        +4,289
                        I don't get that either and hate to see roses which aren't underplanted, even a bit of sweet alyssum highlights the colours of the roses to my eyes. The only context where it's necessary or appropriate is in a historic garden IMHO.

Nick

• Like Like x 3
                        • Friendly Friendly x 1
                        • Nikolaos

Nikolaos Total Gardener

Ratings:
                          +4,289
                          I agree with our friend Wiseowl @cindy, 3 roses really aren't that many and I bet you could learn to maintain them well before next Summer. At least keep your 'Compassion', it's a wonderful rose and produces an amazing display, I have seen a stunning one IRL and believe me, it's worth persevering with! :)

Nick

• Like Like x 1
                          • Agree Agree x 1
                          • Friendly Friendly x 1
                          • Perki

Perki Total Gardener

Ratings:
                            +8,509
                            Your never to old to learn something new @cindy :)

• Agree Agree x 3
                            • Like Like x 1
                            • KFF

KFF Total Gardener

Ratings:
                              +5,890
                              @cindy , all I do is as has been said above. If you think of them as say a Fuchsia or Salvia..... you deadhead them ( that's even less of a job if you use them as cut flowers as well ) cut them back in Spring and feed them ( I just throw some growmore around the base of them twice a year ).
                              They don't get anymore attention than any of my other plants, probably a lot less than some.

As @Nikolaos said they look gorgeous when underplanted. Mine are with Alyssum Saxatile and Cerastium Tomentosum both evergreen and flowers from March through to July ) which mean the bed is full of colour all year round.

Burgundy Ice

0300029a.jpg

Iceberg

20190628_161555.jpg

Fragrant Cloud

0300004b.jpg

Hot Chocolate
                              ( impossible to capture the colour on this one, it really is a warm chocoltey colour )

030000a0.jpg

I've forgotten the name of this one.

0300029b.jpg

Marjorie Fair

20190702_183742.jpg

Got another three but haven't got any piccies of them

• Like Like x 8
                              • wiseowl

Philosophy of people
                                Ratings:
                                +89,886
                                Good afternoon @KFF my friend what lovely Roses,that Fragrant Cloud has a delightful strong scent:smile:

• Agree Agree x 2
                                • Friendly Friendly x 1