1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Roses

Discussion in 'Roses' started by gypangel, Aug 10, 2005.

1. gypangel

gypangel Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all, I have two rose bushes which I inherited from my mum. I am moving soon and am looking for advice on (a) How and when to propogate them and (b) the best way to move them i.e. do I pot them first or just move them in a bag on the day? Any helpful advice would be much appreciated :D

2. Marley Farley

Marley Farley Affable Admin! Staff Member

Grandmother Gardener Councillor Homemaker
    Ratings:
    +14,125
    [​IMG] Hi gypangel,
    Moving well established roses can be difficult work. How big are they? What type? I moved one a couple of years ago, an old floribunda. I pruned it back first, not too hard at this time of year. It was very hard as it turned out as they have the most fantastic roots. Ended up with a huge deep hole, but did get it out without too much root damage in the end. Prepared new hole & planted, but it took a few years to get over it but allot of tlc got us there. My friend just takes long cuttings & shoves them in the ground or a deep pot when she does any pruning during the summer. She makes sure they do not dry out & has very good succes, but I have never tried it so cannot say "it worked for me".
    Good luck, when you move your bushes, just be careful not to damage the root too much & make sure you DO NOT let them DRY out, mulch the hole before planting & fill with water, let drain down, wet roots again & firm in well as you are adding soil as wind can make them move quite a bit until established.
    Hope that is some help. [​IMG]