1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Solved Rowan tree - any advice re possible fireblight

Discussion in 'Identification Area' started by Ballyhack5, Oct 19, 2020.

1. Ballyhack5

Ballyhack5 Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    IMG_20201007_110451.jpg IMG_20201007_110458.jpg IMG_20201007_110532.jpg IMG_20201018_131726.jpg
    Hi, I am new to this forum and I was hoping someone could give some advice regarding a young Cardinal Royal Rowan tree (about 10ft tall) that I bought from a local garden centre and planted in late May.
    I noticed about 3 weeks ago that the lower leaves had turned brown and curling up. I came across some information that suggest Fire blight. Advice seemed to be to remove infected branches, or the tree altogether.
    The last photo shows that nearly all the leaves in the lower branches have come off. The leaves in the fresh growth at the top of the tree are also staring to turn brown. Lack of water does not appear to be the problem as it has been a wet couple of months.
    The garden centre has advised waiting for all the leaves to drop off then apply a 'winter wash'.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

2. NigelJ

NigelJ Total Gardener

Mad Scientist
    Ratings:
    +21,255
    @Ballyhack5 Just wondering if it could be mildew or similar rather than fireblight. Also this time of year they are losing leaves anyway, mine have already dropped their leaves.
    See here for more info Fireblight
    If you cannot see any bleeding wounds or discoloured bark I wouldn't worry too much and follow the nurseries advice.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
      Ratings:
      +85,639
      Did it appear to grow well through the summer?
      Dont most Rowans have some kind of autumn colour before the leaves fall?

• NigelJ

NigelJ Total Gardener

Mad Scientist
      Ratings:
      +21,255
      Yes they do @pete I did wonder about that and that's why I suggested mildew or similar.

• Like Like x 2
      • Mike Allen

Mike Allen Total Gardener

Retired. Plant Pathologist.
        Ratings:
        +6,097
        I agree with Pete about the autumn colours of Rowan. Also I am tending to go with Nigel also, with respect to lould. I have a beautiful Thuja plicata. Over the past few years, it's reall grown. It forms a great windbreak to my garden. There is a gap between my house and next door, this can be like a wind tunnel at times. The winds and storms, come across the park, easterly direction. I have notices this year that as always, the tree is laden with it's seed/pine cones. These are always a fascination due them being squarish with tiny hooks at each corner.

This year I notice that instead of the cones being the usual bright green, they are instaed covered in a powdery mildew, or farinose. I intend cutting a lot out of the tree so that's it.

As I always say. The leaves, foliage is a great protection for our plants. So for our friend who raised this subject. Don't worry too much.

• Macraignil

Macraignil Super Gardener

Avoiding getting fired.
        Ratings:
        +774
        If it is just planted in May then I think it is more likely to drop its leaves a bit earlier and they may not take on their normal autumn colour when dropped a bit sooner than usual. The not so pretty withering this year could be just down to the tree dropping the leaves more quickly and I don't think it looks like fireblight and is more likely just decay of the leaves that the tree has decided to drop now that it is autumn. There is a lot of established growth around your tree as well so even though it may have been wet the roots that are already established may be taking the water before your tree has got enough to fully settle in. I have a few trees that have lost their leaves very quickly this year and I think you just need to give your tree some time to settle in. I'd also remove the bamboo as trees need to have their top parts free to move in order to naturally get stronger and a support stake if needed should only be attached to the tree lower down. I would also be very suspicious of the "winter wash" the garden centre would try to sell as this would have a good chance of containing fungicide chemicals that would not help the situation.
        Happy gardening!

• Friendly Friendly x 1
          Last edited: Oct 20, 2020
        • Ballyhack5

Ballyhack5 Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
          +2
          Thank you for all the advice. The tree appeared to be growing well aftwr planting and has been well watered with our changeable 'summer'. I had expected the leaves to change to a golden autumn colour before falling off, but they were/are quite brown and shrivelled. Some leaves at the top are still green. No sign of weeping on the bark. Hopefully the new buds are healthy and fingers crossed the tree will be OK. Thanks again.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 2