1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

royal jersey potatoes

Discussion in 'Edible Gardening' started by paul777, Feb 7, 2011.

1. Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Thats interesting Kristan, the local nursery were promoting Charlotte on that point.

In fact, it was the only seed potato they had in August. Do you think its worth giving Fir Apples a go & still get new ones for Christmas ?

2. Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
    +12,667
    Pink Fir Apple keep well - and still taste like "new potatoes" even when stored (as I'm sure you know)

Personally I think having New Potatoes at Xmas is daft ... traditionally what you have are Roast Potatoes :thumb:

But our kids prefer New Potatoes, and I'm happy to oblige (eating-their-veg is not one of their strong suits!), plus its quite fun when guests say "What nice New Potatoes" (thinking we are loaded and imported them from Israel in our private jet no doubt ...) and I can say "I picked them from the garden just before you arrived :)

Not many people who grow them outdoors, in the ground, have good success - so better suited to "Bags" I think - plus you can then get them out of the rain, and less chance of them catching Blight spores.

All in all quite a lot of Faffing" involved

3. Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Thats true about the PFAs (Still got problems with those initials, as in my trade it refers to Pulverised Fuel Ash, a mortar additive :D)

I likes, roast potatoes and new ones on the same plate at Christmas :thumbsup:

4. Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
    +12,667
    Well, you've answered your own question then! Grow both :thumb:

5. Makka-Bakka

Makka-Bakka Gardener

Research assistant and someone to blame things on
    Ratings:
    +13

It's all a matter of personal taste!

Me, I grew Charlotte once, never again, as for Rocket I would not take them even if I was paid to take them.

Tesco's was promoting two years ago Vales Soverign as the greatest potato ever, I tried them as I am a sucker for anything novel in the plant world, they were total rubbish even my kids complained about the taste of them!

But the point was, I have tried them!

One point is not in dispute "home grown" really does taste better, especially in potatoes!

Cheers!

6. JimmyB

JimmyB Gardener

Bit of ducking and diving
    Ratings:
    +602
    Is it ok to resurrect this 10 year old thread???? Basically I’m planting Jersey Royals tomorrow (well one day this week) and I’d love to know a more scientific way to tell when to start pulling them than ‘can’t wait any longer’ which is my usual… any idea?

7. john558

john558 Total Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +8,261
    I wish I could get some Jersey Royal seed potatoes.

8. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +85,511
    They are called International kidney, that is the variety name.
    I grew some last year and they were not good, but then last year nothing grew well.

• Like Like x 2
    • john558

john558 Total Gardener

Retired
      Ratings:
      +8,261
    • JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
      +45,994
      Have you chitted them @JimmyB ? To get an early crop you need strong stubby chits and a minimum temperature of 4c. Lower than that the potato plant remains dormant. So you need a soil probe temperature gauge. I start my first earlies in containers in a cold greenhouse, farmers use a plastic breathable membrane to heat up the soil after planting so you could do that. If growing outside at this time of year you need a frost free site, a south sloping field near the sea is what they would use on Jersey and covered in kelp as a blanket and fertiliser. I don't have such a climate here so wait till late February. You should have a better chance on Jersey.

• JimmyB

JimmyB Gardener

Ratings:
      +602
      Locally they swear by a big old layer of vrac (sea-weed to anyone else) laid on the soil in the Autumn: I missed it this year but have done this bed previously. We shall see…

• Informative Informative x 1
      • JimmyB

JimmyB Gardener

Ratings:
        +602
        well - I bought well chitted seed potatoes (they sell them all over here) and I’m about 200 yards off the east coast in Jersey (Grouville parish) - SE facing garden. It would be simple to lay sea weed over them once planted? I’ll give it a go. We only get a real frost once every 5 years or so - so I’ll go for it and cross fingers.

Question is though: how long from planting to first harvest? And is the local practice of cutting the tops off to stop them growing further once they’ve got there, effective and worth it?

Last edited: Jan 4, 2022
      • Jocko

Jocko Guided by my better half.

Retired engineer. Now Vice CEO of the garden.
        Danderhall on southern edge of Edinburgh. Zone 8a.
        Ratings:
        +6,780
      • JimmyB

JimmyB Gardener

Ratings:
        +602
        Quick trip to Jersey? Flights are dirt cheap right now but we have something like 8% infection rate so maybe not the best moment…loads of seed royals available at the moment. Not sure how long they go in for I’m not sure.

• pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
        Ratings:
        +85,511
        I'll remember that, although 35 miles is a long way to carry it. :biggrin:

• Funny Funny x 1