1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Salvias in containers, what are your experiences?

Discussion in 'Container Gardening' started by Nikolaos, Jul 23, 2021.

1. Victoria

Victoria Lover of Exotic Flora

Lady of Leisure
    Ratings:
    +50,895
    I had forgotten I sowed these Salvia coccinea (Texas Sage/Scarlet Sage) and I just saw them and think they need thinning. I plan to keep them in a bigger terracotta pot than they are currently in. How much should I thin them out to have a big clump? Should I do that sooner or Later? Sorry But I am not good with seeds. :rolleyespink: Thank you in advance.

Salvia Seedlings Dec 21.jpg

• Like Like x 1
    • longk

longk Total Gardener

Ratings:
      +23,089
      One per 20cm pot. The sooner the better. Pinch them out at about 15cm in height.

• Victoria

Lady of Leisure
      Ratings:
      +50,895
      Only ONE per pot! My goodness, most will be tossed. Today the rain arrives for the remainder of the year possibly and they are not even 10cm yet. Must still try to do it somehow or they get left to their own devices. Thank you so much for replying.

• Like Like x 1
      • Glynne Williams

Glynne Williams Keen Gardener

Ratings:
        +823
        Amazing germination! Yes they need thinning out or pricking out into much smaller pots. I use empty cream tubs with holes bored in base. I use compost with extra sand/grit to improve drainage. It's a shame you have to throw most but many salvia seeds are very good germinators. You'll keep the seedlings in a warm place with plenty of light. You'll need to take out the growing tip when your plants reach 3" or so. Good luck!

• Agree Agree x 1
        • Victoria

Lady of Leisure
          Ratings:
          +50,895
          Yes, I was somewhat surprised. I only need one pot of them for the kitchen patio/courtyard which is a South-facing hotspot with walls on three sides. I do not have any borders as such. They were germinated outdoors and will live outdoors permanently. I am in Algarve so don't get frost so even at this stage they are "on their own"! :whistle: I will try to thin them somewhat. Thanks for your response.

• groundbeetle

groundbeetle Gardener

Ratings:
          +438
          I just bought a Salvia nemorosa "Blaukonigin" (Blue Queen) as part of a two for three pounds deal in Morrisons, along with Phlox "fabulous rose dark eye".

I planted it in a big pot. I am not sure how hardy it is. I had been considering getting Nachtvlinder, so not sure how they compare. According to Sarah Raven, Nachtvlinder is good to underplant roses to protect them against black spot and mildew. I don't know if all Salvias are good for this?

• Glynne Williams

Ratings:
          +823
          Yes I'd heard that as well. Nachtvlinder is a good 'doer' for us but ours are only about 30cm tall, somewhere else I'd read it was taller? It would be perfect for what you describe.

• Informative Informative x 1
          • Nikolaos

Nikolaos Total Gardener

Ratings:
            +4,288
            Haven't tried it so can't comment on its effectiveness, but when I attempted to dig deeper and establish what the science behind it was (if any), I remember not getting very far. :dunno:

Nick

• Glynne Williams

Ratings:
              +823
              There are many so-called growing of plants together for mutual protection, - French Marigold with Tomatoes for example, though my results are poor as a way of keeping Whitefly, Aphids away from Toms! I wonder if folk have heard about the connection so presume it's always true??? Sure there are other 'pairs' of plants, but AT THE MOMENT I'm very sceptical. If anyone has some personal data I'd be pleased to read it.

• Like Like x 1
              • Nikolaos

Nikolaos Total Gardener

Ratings:
                +4,288
                Thinking about container growing more salvias (running out of space again!) and considering what the best way and thing to feed them might be. Is B,F+B a good feed for them? My 'Caradonna' produced a lovely first flush of flowers last year but hardly anything after being deadheaded! :scratch:

Nick

• Agree Agree x 1
                  Last edited: May 28, 2022
                • Glynne Williams

Ratings:
                  +823
                  Same problem here! Discovering lots of small potted plants grown from plugs bought from Hayloft last year (and previously!) Have decided to label well and plant TOGETHER in containers! At least if any prove really good they can be 'promoted' in the future into their own pot or even in the ground.
                  Regarding fertiliser, I'm using Nutrimate (got mine from Medwyn Williams) I'm also putting more well rotted manure in my compost as well as more grit/perlite/vermiculite (whichever closest!) Otherwise the slow release from Miracle grow is base stuff. Not sure I recognise the B,F+B you mention?
                  Have bought more of the Butterfly Blue that I grew last year, and her other Cambridge Blue-like one from Sarah Raven. The Butterfly one is going amongst the redones in the garden as they needed support on their own.

• Like Like x 1
                  • Loofah

Loofah Admin Staff Member

Ratings:
                    +21,790
                    Blood, fish and bone. It always used to be fish, blood and bone but presumably more or less the same.

I've bought some plugs if amistad and amethyst lips so will see how they go

• Like Like x 1
                    • mazambo

mazambo Forever Learning

Ratings:
                      +3,718
                      I tried a couple of Salvia (Amistad) last year for the first time, put them in a small border and they grew to 4 ft, both plants snapped under the weight so they've come out to be replaced with rudbeckia.

• Nikolaos

Nikolaos Total Gardener

Ratings:
                        +4,288
                        Good grief, as if it's not already confusing enough with botanists reclassifying plants all the time, now I find out the industry is changing the order of plant food names! :heehee:

Planting together initially sounds like a great strategy @Glynne Williams! :blue thumb: I'll have to try Nutrimate and well-rotted manure and see what results I get, thanks!

Funny you should say that @mazambo. I had a similar thing happen with my 'African Sky' last Summer, no snapping but it became so floriferous that it sort of collapsed under it's own weight! But it went on to flower more and was fine after I gave it some support. Wish I could find something hardier that's as nice a colour as 'African Sky', it's just a bit too tender for Notts! It's a shame that most 'true blue' lighter-coloured salvias aren't a similar colour, they appear to be more like S. uliginosa, which I don't like as much. :frown:

Nick

Salvia African Sky.JPG

• Like Like x 1
                        • Glynne Williams

Ratings:
                          +823
                          B,F+B .... of course, blood, fish and bone!!! I am getting old! Used it for years before the modern, slow release came along! Excellent and logical, releasing nutrients in that order, blood, then fish (meal) and finally bone meal! Think my reason for not using it these days is simply having the new stuff and the organic stuff not keeping that well once damp. Real need to have my materials organised PROPERLY !
                          Regarding Salvias 'snapping'. It is a peculiarity of some varieties, which is exacerbated by growing them in containers or entirely on their own particularly if grown with great deal of fertiliser/ plant food. I suppose I like to have big plants so, if they're hardy enough, they respond to cutting down and using rich mulch. When such varieties are in pots I tend to support them carefully (the sagitta Butterfly ??. forgotten its second name !!) Had huge surround of green sticks and green string last year, so will be supported by Hot Lips and Jezebel this year and lifted in the Autumn, as it was so floriferous and had those great spear-shaped leaves! For some reason I didn't take cuttings last year and simply stuck it in the warm, so I've bought two more smaller ones from the Raven woman! They're potted up at the moment waiting their turn to go outside. The one I had last year grew like a wild thing outside in its pot, finishing nearly 2M ! So essentially I'll have three this year! The other blue ones are my patens, grown from seed over Winter two and three to a pot, and Sarah Raven's small version of Cambridge blue, the name's gone again just now!, as well as African Skies in various places, growing well but no flowers yet! My hardy patens not showing amongst the daffs/tulips but I find they are slow. If I want them earlier then plants need 'encouraging' in the warm. Having said that once they start they hurtle out ! Getting the 'gardener' to look now in a particular spot and she says there's no sign! Bit of a shame, might have to plant some of the winter grown ones there!!!

• Like Like x 1