1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Salvias in containers, what are your experiences?

Discussion in 'Container Gardening' started by Nikolaos, Jul 23, 2021.

1. Glynne Williams

Glynne Williams Keen Gardener

Ratings:
    +823
    Wow, sure many of you have had that magic stuff today! And the temperature has dropped! Things just look so much better! We've collected more seed including 3 from the Blue Butterflies in the picture! Will wait a week in case there'll be a couple more to plant up small pot.

20220815_124553.jpg

• Like Like x 2
    • Glynne Williams

Ratings:
      +823
      Bought three new, for me, Salvias on visit to Ashworths last week. (Plus great meal!) Have now potted them up! Wendy's Wish , (pink and pendulous), Blue Suede Shoes (bright green leaves and small blue inflorescences), and a grey leaved salvia, lavandulifolia, ( pale lavender blue flowers.) They'll go inside for this winter at least! Hopefully some cuttings as I'll be looking at them as well!!

20220904_125737.jpg

• Like Like x 2
      • Glynne Williams

Ratings:
        +823
        Autumn on its way, so lots of flowers and of course SEEDS! being produced and collected!! I tend to collect now but sow in the new year. Seems that fresh seed should be sown now but is there enough light?

• longk

longk Total Gardener

Ratings:
        +23,089
        The good news is that the seed of many species remains viable for a long time. I've sown ten year old seed with reasonable results.

• Informative Informative x 2
        • Glynne Williams

Ratings:
          +823
          Now here's a problem, we'll potentially anyway! The 'Gardener' has planted a few salvias in a rockery right outside the window by my chair (there's nice innit!) Seems they might well have been 'lost label' ones bought as very small plug plants some time ago. They were 'a bit straggly' so it seems I said, "perhaps they'll droop down they're so straggly"!! Well they've certainly grown, but up rather than down!!! Now the PROBLEM!! Which variety are they? They're Pink. I've got a few pinks. Neon probably the best colour and has black calyxaces, but Cerro potosi is a fine colour and greeny calyxces. So easier to identify you'd think. HOWEVER, the 'books' say it has magenta--pink flowers! Having difficulty working that colour out! Have ignored it really having grown both varieties when I started growing Salvias. Now I've recently grown lots of Neon from collected seed, but none from Cerro potosi (a great plant) So the only difference, as I see it particularly in seedlings are the different coloured calyx.
          My question to you experts is, have you had the same problem in identification in pink coloured flowers???
          The other questionable pink variety, Krystie pink, is also worrying me (I've also seen it down as KRYSTLE pink)
          Yes I'm still worrying about growers growing from harvested seed and re-naming plants themselves as if they were new hybrids (which of course they could be!!!)

• Glynne Williams

Ratings:
          +823
          The colder weather is slowing the Salvias down. Brought some indoors already and will be digging up Confertiflora and potting them up. However the really strong plants (Hot Lips for example) are still wonderful and visible through many of the others!! Amistad , though hardy, is not huge so I'm considering bringing it in to give it a start next year. What do you think?

• NigelJ

NigelJ Total Gardener

Mad Scientist
          Ratings:
          +21,270
          Amistad I've got mine in the cold greenhouse, some years I've taken cuttings. I can leave it in the ground, but it's slow to start the next spring and the slugs have a feast.

• longk

longk Total Gardener

Ratings:
          +23,089
          I planted it in a sheltered spot at my Dads house (SE facing wall) where it is hardy and rampant! Still in bloom there.

• Glynne Williams

Ratings:
          +823
          Cheers! Yes Winter's here so the tender ones are now inside!!
          I bought Blue Butterfly last year and again this year. Great little plant, in containers one with container 'planted' amongst some red salvias! Great success with its true blue sterile flowers so no need to dead head (not that I do a lot of that as I collect seed) No seed with this one anyway, just masses of blooms!! Also Rockin Blue Suede Shoes a great LITTLE plant (I've got it in a pot) It's tender so I've brought it in as well.
          Wondered about winter pruning so looked it up. No mention of NOT winter pruning like some BUT found out that it's a HUMMING BIRD MAGNET!!!! So if you've been wanting some of these birds in your garden, buy Blue Suede Shoes!!!
          Otherwise put it on your wish list, ...... or emigrate .......I suppose!!!?

Last edited: Dec 8, 2022
        • Glynne Williams

Ratings:
          +823
          The COLD weather has just finished so glad I brought some stuff indoors!! However I've got an Amistad outside and the whole plant has totally succumbed!! Will take a picture as right next is A Hot Lips, still green!! The Amistad was mulched but it was very cold wasn't it?!?!
          The Gardener has succumbed to the dreaded Covid (after 3 injections and 2 boosters like me, she was positive me negative!!) Should be a quiet Christmas!!!

• Glynne Williams

Ratings:
          +823
          Lots of hardy ones in the garden sprouting very well and last years shoots removed. Similarlyv the tender ones in heated conservatory are showing green. Once shoots long enough I'll be taking cuttings!! Let's hope frost finished (famous last words!)

• Loofah

Loofah Admin Staff Member

Ratings:
          +21,704
          I think all my amistaad have perished, a few hot lips are starting up though

• shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
          Ratings:
          +118,361
          Only a few of our tukestanika survived the winter.

• Like Like x 1
          • Glynne Williams

Ratings:
            +823
            Just been looking back at some plants I bought last year. One was the Spanish Sage, Salvia laventualdia ( I think I've got that right??) Bought it because it had GREY foliage. Always keep new plants under cover for first Winter whatever their hardiness designation. I didn't prune it at all so, in the heat, it's flowered!,, Great lilac inflorescence, so pleased with purchace!! Must now find out EXACTLY how hardy it is!!

20230513_135809.jpg

• Like Like x 2
            • ChrisM6

ChrisM6 Gardener

Retired
              Ratings:
              +370
              I have Salvia Nemorosa Sensation Rose, which was eaten to bits last summer by slugs. The remaining one was put in a pot, and at the moment, is going great guns.

• Like Like x 1