Scarifying and patch magic.

Discussion in 'Lawns' started by hoofy, Sep 5, 2018.

1. hoofy

hoofy Gardener

Ratings:
    +224
    I have just taken over the maintenance of my mothers lawn, which I've put weed and feed on 6 days ago. I have also booked a bloke to come round and scarify the lawn next weekend. I have also bought a bag of 3.5k miracle grow patch magic. So, how long after the scarifying should I wait before using the patch magic, and will the patches still be obvious once scarified?

2. Loofah

Loofah Admin Staff Member

Ratings:
    +21,138
    After scarifying the lawn will look shocking but don't fret as it recovers quickly. I'd apply lawn seed straight after and water in

3. Verdun

Verdun Passionate gardener

Ratings:
    +17,486
    Yes, you can sow seed straight after scarifying.....actually best time to do it then.:)

However, you will need to wait another 3 weeks after applying weed n feed before you can sow seed hoofy:).

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Mike Allen

Mike Allen Total Gardener

Retired. Plant Pathologist.
      Ratings:
      +6,097
      Hi hoofy. Might I respectfully enquire. What state/condition was the lawn in when you decided upon such drastic action?

Not wishing to offend you in any way but. I imagine the local gardening store welcomes your custom.
      Members comments are true, but in all honesty, I am wondering if perhaps you have perhaps been a bit, over enthusiastic. Nevertheless, enjoy your gardening.

• hoofy

hoofy Gardener

Ratings:
      +224
      I assume you mean the drastic action to be the seeding, not the scarifying?

The lawn is around 80% covered in grass with the rest being patches of bare soil, two or three feet in diameter. I don't know how the patches occurred. No pets or kids or the lawn.

My mum has lived at the property since 2011 and it hasn't been scarified since then. Not sure if the previous owner had done it either.

• Like Like x 1
      • Verdun

Ratings:
        +17,486
        Quite usual hoofy to be scarifying, seeding etc. :) Not at all over enthusiastic so respectfully disagree with Mike. :noidea: A nice looking lawn is a joy but needs some work at times.

To keep your grass looking good in future, 2 simple but highly effective tasks, viz., set the mower blades higher and aim to cut the grass regularly, at least once a week in the growing season:)

• Agree Agree x 1
        • hoofy

hoofy Gardener

Ratings:
          +224
          I've just bought a quality rotary mower as the one my mum had was a cylinder mower which probably did cut too much off.

• Like Like x 2
          • HarryS

HarryS Eternally Optimistic Gardener

Retired
            Ratings:
            +16,246
            Hoofy , most lawns will benefit from scarification every 3 yearsish it is by no means a drastic action. For reseeding , I would save the Patch Magic for later repairs . Buy 1kg of lawn seed , if you are near a Wilkos they sell loose lawn seed at a very good price. As Verdun said you need to wait a few weeks to let weed n feed be absorbed. After reseeding scatter a little topsoil over the patches and keep it watered. Keep up your enthusiasm :blue thumb:

• HarryS

Retired
            Ratings:
            +16,246
            A few tips on reseeding here . You don't need all the equipment he has !

• Like Like x 1
            • hoofy

hoofy Gardener

Ratings:
              +224
              Which one should I go for?

I'm looking at this one, but I think I'd need 2kg as the lawn is 80m2.

[​IMG]

The lawn gets decent sun but it does have shaded areas close to a hedge.

• HarryS

Retired
              Ratings:
              +16,246
              That should be OK , I normally use multi purpose seed. Have a look in your local Wilkos as they may sell seed from big tubs , you just bag it yourself and weigh it :blue thumb:

• Like Like x 1
              • Verdun

Ratings:
                +17,486
                Yep, agree totally with HarryS.
                Hoofy that Wilko seed is ideal :)

• hoofy

hoofy Gardener

Ratings:
                +224
                Thanks.

In the video HarryS posted, at the end of the process he put fertiliser on. Would I need to do that with me having used weed and feed just last week? I'd be planning on leaving it another 3 weeks before I over seed.

• Verdun

Ratings:
                +17,486
                Excellent hoofy :)
                No just the seed. :)

• Like Like x 1
                • Liz the pot

Liz the pot Total Gardener

Ratings:
                  +1,259
                  You may be pleasantly surprised by how good the lawn looks if this guy has a good scarifier and knows his game.
                  Normally people think of how a lawn looks after they run their Bosch scarifier over it and the cheap end scarifier will rip up the lawn rather than leaving a slice appearance which promotes a quick recovery.
                  As your lawn sounds pretty good it should recover quickly. Personally on a good lawn I will scarify and then around 2 to 3 weeks apply a good autumn feed.
                  It just depends on what scarifier set up the guy uses to the quality of the job and whether or not his blades are fixed or free-floating. Free-floating blades are designed to touch the top of the soil only where a fixed blade system on a decent machine will be able to cut in and be able to slice the root system and reach the thatch under the surface.
                  What you need to hope for is that the weather stays warm and wet if you apply seed after a 2 to 3 week period so the gamble is purely the weather.
                  Most of the lawn weed and feed now available don’t have a residue affect unlike previous years which means you can dress and seed quicker after the application. What you don’t want to do is seed and then apply fertiliser. In your case as it’s just patches you could always avoid them with fertiliser but as you’ve applied one now it’s not a concern in this respect.

• Like Like x 2
                  • Informative Informative x 2